How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Yeah, the briefings by Dr. Walensky are no different than the inchoate ramblings of the former guy. I can hardly tell the difference because, you know, they're the same.

I'm of course being sarcastic. Blanket declarations that people shouldn't listen to anyone just serve to amplify misinformation and discredit actual science. And we should be listening to scientists. Like Dr. Walensky.

Here's her background. Somewhat different than the former person leading the COVID briefings, right?!

Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH
Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH, is the 19th Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the ninth Administrator of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. She is an influential scholar whose pioneering research has helped advance the national and global response to HIV/AIDS. Dr. Walensky is also a well-respected expert on the value of testing and treatment of deadly viruses.

Dr. Walensky served as Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Massachusetts General Hospital from 2017-2020 and Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School from 2012-2020. She served on the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic and conducted research on vaccine delivery and strategies to reach underserved communities.

Dr. Walensky is recognized internationally for her work to improve HIV screening and care in South Africa and nationally recognized for motivating health policy and informing clinical trial design and evaluation in a variety of settings.

She is a past Chair of the Office of AIDS Research Advisory Council at the National Institutes of Health, Chair-elect of the HIV Medical Association, and previously served as an advisor to both the World Health Organization and the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS.

Originally from Maryland, Dr. Walensky received her Bachelor of Arts from Washington University in St. Louis, her Doctor of Medicine from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and her Masters in Public Health from the Harvard School of Public Health.

“Gone are the days…”

Dude I wanna do my best bugs bunny impersonation right here, and you deserve it.

Just exactly when did the politicians have this come to Jesus moment?

Reactions: jacktar

jacktar

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2021
I'll start

The third wave in South Africa seems to have lost some strength with infections dropping about 20%, but may spike with the latest unrest. My whole exam series was moved online now due to high cases in the area and the university itself, I'm unsure if I'll have in person classes again next semester
We have heard little of how SA has coped with the virus since this began and I have wondered how the country has handled this. If you are experiencing unrest again ATM and you have the delta strain within, well I hope you guy's will be ok. Sydney have just had a breakout of the delta strain due to a lapse in quarantine. They are back in hard lockdown and this time it does not seem to be slowing the spread, all that hard work for the last year wasted. All the best to you and yours, hope you make your semester!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yeah, the briefings by Dr. Walensky are no different than the inchoate ramblings of the former guy. I can hardly tell the difference because, you know, they're the same.

I'm of course being sarcastic. Blanket declarations that people shouldn't listen to anyone just serve to amplify misinformation and discredit actual science. And we should be listening to scientists. Like Dr. Walensky.

Here's her background. Somewhat different than the former person leading the COVID briefings, right?!

Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH
Rochelle P. Walensky, MD, MPH, is the 19th Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the ninth Administrator of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. She is an influential scholar whose pioneering research has helped advance the national and global response to HIV/AIDS. Dr. Walensky is also a well-respected expert on the value of testing and treatment of deadly viruses.

Dr. Walensky served as Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Massachusetts General Hospital from 2017-2020 and Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School from 2012-2020. She served on the frontline of the COVID-19 pandemic and conducted research on vaccine delivery and strategies to reach underserved communities.

Dr. Walensky is recognized internationally for her work to improve HIV screening and care in South Africa and nationally recognized for motivating health policy and informing clinical trial design and evaluation in a variety of settings.

She is a past Chair of the Office of AIDS Research Advisory Council at the National Institutes of Health, Chair-elect of the HIV Medical Association, and previously served as an advisor to both the World Health Organization and the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS.

Originally from Maryland, Dr. Walensky received her Bachelor of Arts from Washington University in St. Louis, her Doctor of Medicine from the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and her Masters in Public Health from the Harvard School of Public Health.
Did you even read my message?

We have heard little of how SA has coped with the virus since this began and I have wondered how the country has handled this. If you are experiencing unrest again ATM and you have the delta strain within, well I hope you guy's will be ok. Sydney have just had a breakout of the delta strain due to a lapse in quarantine. They are back in hard lockdown and this time it does not seem to be slowing the spread, all that hard work for the last year wasted. All the best to you and yours, hope you make your semester!
It has been up and down, definitely could have been worse. Hope it gets under control in Sydney. I am avoiding large gatherings where possible and rather seeing close friends in the outdoors

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I did and my point is that we have a clinician / scientist / public health expert - and no longer a politician - leading information sharing about COVID. Which is a good thing.

Lumping everyone who works for the government together as all "politicians", the same and untrustworthy isn't correct.

Did you even read my message?

It has been up and down, definitely could have been worse. Hope it gets under control in Sydney. I am avoiding large gatherings where possible and rather seeing close friends in the outdoors

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
If you live in Florida or other places with a lot of unvaccinated people, this is coming your way.

"The explosion in infections underscores the dangers of the delta variant to people without vaccine protection and highlights the urgency to increase vaccination rates, experts say.

“I’m getting a little freaked out,” said Dr. Tom Unnasch, a University of South Florida public health professor. “If you were trying to outrun the bear, the bear just got a whole lot faster.”

"COVID-19 infections have spiked 200% in Florida over the past two weeks, with the fast-spreading delta variant finding a home in swathes of unvaccinated people."

1 in 5 new cases of COVID in the country are in Florida.

jacktar

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2021
If you live in Florida or other places with a lot of unvaccinated people, this is coming your way.

"The explosion in infections underscores the dangers of the delta variant to people without vaccine protection and highlights the urgency to increase vaccination rates, experts say.

“I’m getting a little freaked out,” said Dr. Tom Unnasch, a University of South Florida public health professor. “If you were trying to outrun the bear, the bear just got a whole lot faster.”

"COVID-19 infections have spiked 200% in Florida over the past two weeks, with the fast-spreading delta variant finding a home in swathes of unvaccinated people."

1 in 5 new cases of COVID in the country are in Florida.

I feel for you guy's mate, I really do. There are going to be to new classes added to society soon, the vaxed and the unvaxed

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I feel for you guy's mate, I really do. There are going to be to new classes added to society soon, the vaxed and the unvaxed
Hello; I would add a third group. The naturally recovered. The naturally recovered do not need a vaccine. I do get there is a push to have them take the vaccine.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
That is contradictory to CDC guidance:

If I have already had COVID-19 and recovered, do I still need to get vaccinated with a aCOVD-19 vaccine?

Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again. Studies have shown that vaccination provides a strong boost in protection in people who have recovered from COVID-19. Learn more about why getting vaccinated is a safer way to build protection than getting infected.

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

If you or your child has a history of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in adults or children (MIS-A or MIS-C), consider delaying vaccination until you or your child have recovered from being sick and for 90 days after the date of diagnosis of MIS-A or MIS-C. Learn more about the clinical considerations people with a history of multisystem MIS-C or MIS-A.

Experts are still learning more about how long vaccines protect against COVID-19. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

Hello; I would add a third group. The naturally recovered. The naturally recovered do not need a vaccine. I do get there is a push to have them take the vaccine.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
The difference between other classes in our society (i.e. protected classes) is that people must choose not to get vaccinated (whereas someone doesn't choose to be, for example, black or homosexual).

Employers have liability and responsibility for protecting their employees from disease and illness. And, of course, all sorts of incentives to maximize employee health and wellness (and minimize health insurance costs).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store