Clawed frog behavior

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I just want to go on the record and say I do NOT support breeding them atm. You don’t have a ton of space and they can lay hundreds of even thousands of eggs. Selling them all is gonna SUCK. Or even just get rid of them.
Agreed I don’t have the space for it but also if it does somehow come out successful then I have a lfs that will happily buy them at any moment

Reactions: tlindsey

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Agreed I don’t have the space for it but also if it does somehow come out successful then I have a lfs that will happily buy them at any moment
Selling ANY fish or amphibian for that matter by the HUNDREDS or even THOUSANDS is crazy. Axolotls are a good example of it. They can breed by the hundreds but selling them is a huge issue.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Selling ANY fish or amphibian for that matter by the HUNDREDS or even THOUSANDS is crazy. Axolotls are a good example of it. They can breed by the hundreds but selling them is a huge issue.
Well how would I stop them now? I can’t separate them

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Well how would I stop them now? I can’t separate them
Just get something to eat the offspring ??... endless feeder supply is a good thing IMO ??‍♂... might not “work” the 1st time anyway. Will take some trial and error for sure to even get the hang of raising the “fry”... if u do nothing the parents will most likely just eat the eggs, problem solved. My experience with Xenopus is there gluttons... im sure they wont mind being cannibals ?... I had one for 10+yrs the size of a softball.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes absolutely I forgot the term for the loop like swimming.
I'm not sure of a term for the swimming but I think the term for what the pair is displaying is called amplexus.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Chances are you won’t get anything out of it. Usually breeding is difficult unless really intentional as there are lots of factors.
Assuming the frogs and other fish don’t eat the eggs, the tadpoles will look like ghost catfish. In about 2 months, they will be frogs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store