My EBJD

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Hey guys, just thought I'd post some pics of my EBJD Conor. I might have to change his name after Conor McGregor's last 2 performances though lol. I got him around the same time that my brother got a regular JD (jack), and surprisingly he has outgrown the JD. I think it's a matter of food, as I have been feeding shrimp nearly every meal with some NFS pellets as supplements, and he was feeding jack the tetra brand flakes that came with his tank.

It also appears like jack is a Jacqueline (which would also contribute to Conor outgrowing her), because she has a pretty solid beard going, but I thought I read that JDs don't reach maturity until like 4 inches.

PXL_20210729_174029745.jpg

PXL_20210729_174027616.jpg

PXL_20210729_174021868.jpg

PXL_20210729_174003334.jpg

PXL_20210729_173947290.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Sexy little guy.

These guys used to be a major passion of mine. I was sad when I got back into the hobby and found them so infrequently kept.

Glad to see them your tank!

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Sexy little guy.

These guys used to be a major passion of mine. I was sad when I got back into the hobby and found them so infrequently kept.

Glad to see them your tank!
Yeah, I always wanted to keep these, but have always been scared to go for it because of the horrible reputation they have for dying off prematurely, but this guy is big and healthy so I think he'll make it. I think I'm going to have to take out some of the plants soon to give him more swimming space cuz he's growing so fast. (Never thought I'd be saying that about an EBJD lol)

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Not all of them are weak. I had one I gave to a fellow MFKer that used him in his platinum breeding project. Grew out to 10in, I believe he still had him nearing 5 years old now.

2F0E84C2-11E3-40B0-872C-1B31A8A9C4DF.jpeg.jpg
This is when I had him around 4in mark
20171203_172043.jpg

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I've grown out and bred a bunch of them. My profile pic is a pair of them.

I've raised plenty that kept up with regular Dempseys in grown and aggression. They are on average smaller, slower growing and weaker. But a good one can compete with regulars.

Based on what I / we learned back then, internal parasites were their biggest threat. I raised most of mine with UV lights. Once they reached maturity they seemed far less at risk.

I always suspected excessive inbreeding was the cause of their weakness. But despite efforts to outcross I saw no improvement.

Reactions: Deadeye and Jexnell

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Not all of them are weak. I had one I gave to a fellow MFKer that used him in his platinum breeding project. Grew out to 10in, I believe he still had him nearing 5 years old now.

View attachment 1468423
This is when I had him around 4in mark
View attachment 1468424
Wow, he's gorgeous. I especially like the spangled look he had at 4 inch. Just looks like a regular JD with 3x the spangled. I think that looks way better than the nearly solid blue that Conor has. I'm excited to see how nice he gets. I hope I'm right in thinking he'll be good since he's growing so strong and healthy this far.

I've grown out and bred a bunch of them. My profile pic is a pair of them.

I've raised plenty that kept up with regular Dempseys in grown and aggression. They are on average smaller, slower growing and weaker. But a good one can compete with regulars.

Based on what I / we learned back then, internal parasites were their biggest threat. I raised most of mine with UV lights. Once they reached maturity they seemed far less at risk.

I always suspected excessive inbreeding was the cause of their weakness. But despite efforts to outcross I saw no improvement.
Nice! How did the fry from 2 EBJD end up? I heard a EBJD x EBJD pair has very low survivability.

Yes I heard that internal parasite were one of the main problems, so I wanted to try and figure out how to add garlic to the shrimp, as I've heard that kills internal parasites, but I didn't know if I could just chop some up and mix it with my chopped shrimp and freeze them together. I never thought of a uv for the tank tho, I'll look into that...
I also heard that some poor strains just have genetic defects where their hearts just give out at like 3-4 inches which is why I haven't posted Conor til now... Lol. I wanted to make sure he made it to that point.

Reactions: Deadeye and Jexnell

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Two healthy Blue Dempseys can hatch eggs and get wiggles into swimmers. But I've never heard of anyone having any survive more than a few weeks.

I've made several pairs, with each partner being a proven breeder with other (non Blue) partners. I'm convinced Blue x Blue breeding cannot be successful. That said, they look beautiful courting.

I used Danner UV and Turbo Twist. I have no idea if either brand is still available. You need to use a low flow rate for them to kill parasites. I dont recall details and would have to check my old posts for reference of what I used.

I've never heard of using garlic. Though that doesn't discount it as an option. I just can't help with it.

Though honestly, yours is the size I stopped using UV and typically did not have parasite issues. Though having something available if issues arrive may be a good idea.

He's gorgeous. Congrats on a good score.

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Two healthy Blue Dempseys can hatch eggs and get wiggles into swimmers. But I've never heard of anyone having any survive more than a few weeks.

I've made several pairs, with each partner being a proven breeder with other (non Blue) partners. I'm convinced Blue x Blue breeding cannot be successful. That said, they look beautiful courting.

I used Danner UV and Turbo Twist. I have no idea if either brand is still available. You need to use a low flow rate for them to kill parasites. I dont recall details and would have to check my old posts for reference of what I used.

I've never heard of using garlic. Though that doesn't discount it as an option. I just can't help with it.

Though honestly, yours is the size I stopped using UV and typically did not have parasite issues. Though having something available if issues arrive may be a good idea.

He's gorgeous. Congrats on a good score.
ah, interesting.
Yeah, they look great in your profile picture.
Great info. thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store