Growth Inhibiting Hormone Removal

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Does anyone have links to some scientific literature on the removal of GIH in fish/aquaculture?
I know water changes remove thus automated changes are used everywhere.
What I am wondering is this; is there a method of removal that would be used in large/public displays where large water changes are not a viable option?

Reactions: Krismo962

Krismo962

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2020
my house!!

Reactions: Red Cichlids

FJB

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
In home aquaria, constant water changes, such as a permanent drip system may be the best way of removing hormones. I am sure there are chemical methods but some of those may have undesirable unintended effects as well.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
In some public aquariums, every time a toilet or urinal is flushed in the facility, that flush water is old water automatically taken from the system, and is replaced in the system by new water, so a constant set of water changes throughout the day.
Interesting. I did not know that. Makes perfect sense.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I haven't seen any write up that activated carbon can remove growth inhibiting hormones. There's fishkeeper's theories but nothing substantial from the aquaculture industry.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I haven't seen any write up that activated carbon can remove growth inhibiting hormones. There's fishkeeper's theories but nothing substantial from the aquaculture industry.
Hence me starting this thread. There are some seriously experienced hobbyists on here as well as people who have worked extensively with fish. Hoping they can chime in and part with the knowledge they have acquired.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store