Odd red spot.

Roech13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
Hard to say. Could be infection from inside working it’s way out.
At this point is it best to just let it do what its going to do? He still swims around but not as much. Still eats but not a ton. Then again if im sick or hurt I dont want to move much or eat much either. I wish I could get a pic but with the tank set up he has lits of places to hide. Or he wont sit still in the open long.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d try and get some antibiotic if ur able. Kanamycin, maracyn2 or triple sulfa. If it’s infected then it’ll eventually stop eating and act weird. Keep an eye and update the thread.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Roech13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
I’d try and get some antibiotic if ur able. Kanamycin, maracyn2 or triple sulfa. If it’s infected then it’ll eventually stop eating and act weird. Keep an eye and update the thread.
Do I need to go to a vet for those meds or can you Amazon those or hit a regular fish store?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Do I need to go to a vet for those meds or can you Amazon those or hit a regular fish store?
Amazon has them and ur lfs has them too. Doubt chains will carry it.

Roech13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
Amazon has them and ur lfs has them too. Doubt chains will carry it.
And is it just an additive you put in the tank then? Sorry, I always loved Bichir but keeping fish was just not something I tried till I met my lady lol.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
And is it just an additive you put in the tank then? Sorry, I always loved Bichir but keeping fish was just not something I tried till I met my lady lol.
Yes. Can add directly to the tank.

Roech13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
Yes. Can add directly to the tank.
Awesome thank you. Just ordered it on Amazon. Working 2 jobs I almost never have time to do much. It either cleaning or working. Maybe sleep at some point. Ill keep this thread updated when I get it in and if things change. Thanks all.

Roech13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
Update. The meds showed up about 10 min ago. Dosed the tank. My bichir is still alive but is acting a bit odd. Struggling to eat it seems but trying. Almost acting clumsy. As the days go on and I do additional doses to the tank every 2 days I will keep this thread updated. The zit like thing on his side is still there. Only he is affected as his tank mate, a female beta is perfectly fine.

Roech13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2021
Update. Second dose of Kanamycin today. The zit looking thing seems to either have split open and drained or the Kanamycin has reduced the zit considerably. He is still a bit lazy and Im guessing healing. But he is lively enough. Im going to end up seeing how he does after the 3rd and final dose.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It does not look like a physical injury. Even if it began as one (probably not) is is now an open ulcer with an additional secondary infection. Weekly water changes (>50%) are needed regularly. Those are better than an ocasional 90% water change. Should be reversible if conditions are improved. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store