Your favorite cyprinids

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Mine would have to be the aquarium 'sharks' and similar (red tail sharks, roseline sharks, tiger barbs, etc). While the ubiquitous goldfish and koi have (IMO) been done to death too many times to count, these guys remain high on my favorites list because of their generally small size, hardiness, attractive patterning. shark-like shapes, high activity, and either nonexistent or easily manageable aggression.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Mine would have to be the aquarium 'sharks' and similar (red tail sharks, roseline sharks, tiger barbs, etc). While the ubiquitous goldfish and koi have (IMO) been done to death too many times to count, these guys remain high on my favorites list because of their generally small size, hardiness, attractive patterning. shark-like shapes, high activity, and either nonexistent or easily manageable aggression.
Well a couple of years ago I decided to see how well Rosy Red minnow would do in a unheated 20 long. I would highly recommend the Rosy Red minnow to anyone who can only keep a small unheated aquarium over Goldfish. The minnows are extremely easy to care for and I like them.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Well a couple of years ago I decided to see how well Rosy Red minnow would do in a unheated 20 long. I would highly recommend the Rosy Red minnow to anyone who can only keep a small unheated aquarium over Goldfish. The minnows are extremely easy to care for and I like them.
I think I would agree with rosies to substitute goldfish. Golden barbs would work for that too.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
One thing that I have found to help is to have a large (120x45 cm footprint minimum), well decorated (wood, caves, real or fake plants) tank with no similar looking fish, and the more territorial aquarium sharks have nothing to be territorial about anymore. They have their space and territory and nothing to chase away from it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
One thing that I have found to help is to have a large (120x45 cm footprint minimum), well decorated (wood, caves, real or fake plants) tank with no similar looking fish, and the more territorial aquarium sharks have nothing to be territorial about anymore. They have their space and territory and nothing to chase away from it.

That makes sense.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

Deadeye

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Rosy minnows were nice but actually mean for me. They bullied my dwarf puffers.
Just about any sharkminnow is cool. There’s the wonderful bala, and rainbow sharks are great (my kribs didn’t think so).
Danios are lots of fun too.
And my favorite will always be goldfish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store