Will my dollars be fine?

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Hello my bros
Hope u all doing fine
I was gifted 2 silver dollars (coin sized)
I have 70 gallon and a 90 gallon ready for them
But I'm sure they won't be able to survive at this size
Other than that I have a 1.5 gallon bowl
I have no choice but to put them temporarily there
Will they be fine
Bowl is fully cycled
With stock as 2 danios nothing else

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
When will they reach full grown size?
Can they reach it in the bowl?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Putting them in the bowl is like putting an arowana in a 10 gallon tank…so no.
Silvers grow pretty fast, assuming nothing in the other tanks are large enough to eat them, that is where they will be best.

Reactions: dr exum

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
What kind of dollars? (almost certainly a species of Metynnis, since they are tank bred)
Why don't you think they will survive in the 70 or 90g tank? They should do great, unless there is someone there to eat them (but they are not easy to catch, particularly if there is where to hide).
They will not do well in the 1.5g, even if they survive. Too difficult to maintain good conditions, and too small anyway.

In a proper tank, they grow relatively fast at first, then slow down substantially, and can live several decades in good conditions.
Good luck!

Reactions: Deadeye

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
What kind of dollars? (almost certainly a species of Metynnis, since they are tank bred)
Why don't you think they will survive in the 70 or 90g tank? They should do great, unless there is someone there to eat them (but they are not easy to catch, particularly if there is where to hide).
They will not do well in the 1.5g, even if they survive. Too difficult to maintain good conditions, and too small anyway.

In a proper tank, they grow relatively fast at first, then slow down substantially, and can live several decades in good conditions.
Good luck!
Help me pls
My one tank has a turtle and a Texas cichlid
Other tank has 2 Oscars 2 g terrors and 1 Texas
Should I do?

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Putting them in the bowl is like putting an arowana in a 10 gallon tank…so no.
Silvers grow pretty fast, assuming nothing in the other tanks are large enough to eat them, that is where they will be best.
A turtle can sure eat them if they are un aware of danger (hard to catch)
A Texas can sure kill them
If I add it back to my other tank it will cause chaos with other Texas
What should I do

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Pls reply fast my bros

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How big are the cichlids?
Sounds like rehoming the dollars would be the most responsible thing to do.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
What should you do? Not accepting these fish in the first place leaps to mind, if you have no place to keep them. By definition, a "rescue" needs to improve the living conditions of the rescuee...

But, if you already have them...and can't quickly find them a better home...why don't you set up a smaller tank, bin or other container right next to the already overcrowded main cichlid display tank? If you place it so that the tops of the two tanks are on the same level, you can set up a siphon from the main tank into the small one, and then use either another siphon with an air lift or a small circulating pump, wavemaker or powerhead to return water back into the main tank. The small tank will "piggyback" off the main tank's filter and heater, and won't really need much or any maintenance itself aside from vacuuming the bottom periodically. It's not a true quarantine tank since the water is shared, but at least it separates the little guys from the big guys.

They'll grow fast, and might or might not someday be able to go into the main tank depending upon the size and attitude of those cichlids in there. But seriously, you should be looking for another home for these fish.

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
How big are the cichlids?
Sounds like rehoming the dollars would be the most responsible thing to do.
Bro I tried rehoming my cichlids
No store take any fish back here
They think we keep our fish like them, infested with diseases
Cichlids are 4 inces or a little more
Green terror are very peaceful
Texas are most brutal

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store