Will my dollars be fine?

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
What should you do? Not accepting these fish in the first place leaps to mind, if you have no place to keep them. By definition, a "rescue" needs to improve the living conditions of the rescuee...

But, if you already have them...and can't quickly find them a better home...why don't you set up a smaller tank right next to the already overcrowded main cichlid display tank? If you place it so that the tops of the two tanks are on the same level, you can set up a siphon from the main tank into the small one, and then use either another siphon with an air lift or a small circulating pump, wavemaker or powerhead to return water back into the main tank. The small tank will "piggyback" off the main tank's filter and heater, and won't really need much or any maintenance itself aside from vacuuming the bottom periodically. It's not a true quarantine tank since the water is shared, but at least it separates the little guys from the big guys.

They'll grow fast, and might or might not someday be able to go into the main tank depending upon the size and attitude of those cichlids in there. But seriously, you should be looking for another home for these fish.
I really have done so my bro if I could even set up a 2/2 feet then i must have made it nicely for those dollars but I can't bro

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
At 4 inches I can’t imagine a cichlid taking down a silver dollar. They are lighting fast, and don’t go down easily. Only fish of mine that single handed took out a silver dollar was a pacu…even my psycho leporinus needed help from disease to kill one (my point being they are really tough).
jjohnwm jjohnwm makes a good point about setting up a small grow out tank near the main tank. This could be as simple as a sterlite bin.
If you could fashion a divider that may also work.

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
At 4 inches I can’t imagine a cichlid taking down a silver dollar. They are lighting fast, and don’t go down easily. Only fish of mine that single handed took out a silver dollar was a pacu…even my psycho leporinus needed help from disease to kill one (my point being they are really tough).
jjohnwm jjohnwm makes a good point about setting up a small grow out tank near the main tank. This could be as simple as a sterlite bin.
If you could fashion a divider that may also work.
Bro I'm currently removing the turtle and adding the dollars with my Texas in the 1turtle tank

Stock being 1 Texas 2 coin sized dollars

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Where are you moving the turtle to?
Personally I’d value the turtle’s health + conditions over the dollars.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Where are you moving the turtle to?
Personally I’d value the turtle’s health + conditions over the dollars.
Just for the night in a box( not a box but like a box , is the early turtle setup.kit ) with some water in it

Reactions: Deadeye

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
The tank I'm moving them in
A Texas is there I'm that pot

IMG_20211202_220457.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Looks good for silvers, lots of hiding places.
Just make sure to get the turtle back in its proper place soon (you may want to drain the tank a bit and have some more land for it).

Reactions: Punjabiking1500

Punjabiking1500

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2020
Looks good for silvers, lots of hiding places.
Just make sure to get the turtle back in its proper place soon (you may want to drain the tank a bit and have some more land for it).
Sure bro
See here those are dollars my cichlid in that tank is 4 times their size
Currently in shock due to some shifting
Hope dollars tackle him well when he comes out

IMG_20211202_222938.jpg

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
If you are referencing U.S. currency, which coin? If the silver dollars are 30mm or larger I think they will be ok if you put them in with your cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store