Gymnotus Tigre (Tiger Knifefish) info needed

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Just picked up a knifefish I’ve never seen before. Can’t tell if it’s Gymnotus Tigre or Javari but it was labeled Tiger Knifefish.

There are conflicting descriptions online. Some claim they’re as aggressive as Aba Aba and will put a hole in the side of other fish. Others says they’re very gentle and peaceful. Need to decide whether to house alone or with other fish.

Can anyone identify this fish in the pic. Also, can anyone share any real experience with either species? Thx

7A1561B2-2FD6-4E46-B659-939CF17D5902.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’s not a true Tigre. Common names have been mixed up for these fish often.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How can you tell? Do you think I can keep them with other fish or alone like an Aba?
The pattern is that of javari. Keep with non aggressive tankmates. Had my old javari with centromoculus catfish. We’re fine together.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
The pattern is that of javari. Keep with non aggressive tankmates. Had my old javari with centromoculus catfish. We’re fine together.
Thanks for the info. Is there any truth to the claim that they’re as aggressive as aba aba and will chew a hole in your fish?

I was going to throw them in a tank with some discus, altums, orange laser corydoras, and rasboras

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for the info. Is there any truth to the claim that they’re as aggressive as aba aba and will chew a hole in your fish?

I was going to throw them in a tank with some discus, altums, orange laser corydoras, and rasboras
A true tiger is mean. Similar to the temperament as a aba aba. Hard to keep tankmates. I haven’t seen any keeper able to keep tankmates with a large tiger. Not many keep them so gotta keep that in mind. Unlike javari. Carapo can be sometimes be kept with aggressive fish but needs the right stock and size.

Reactions: phreeflow

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
A true tiger is mean. Similar to the temperament as a aba aba. Hard to keep tankmates. I haven’t seen any keeper able to keep tankmates with a large tiger. Not many keep them so gotta keep that in mind. Unlike javari. Carapo can be sometimes be kept with aggressive fish but needs the right stock and size.

Okay great. So is it safe to assume this Javari would be fine with my stocking? Not worried about the discus or angels attacking the javari. I’m concerned of the opposite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store