Extremely Timid Flowerhorn

ChrissFishes01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2021
Kentucky
I've been a bit concerned that Nanaue may be a bit bloated - at first I just thought he was getting fat, but his stomach is getting awful girthy (as in really round and wide). I fed some boiled peas on Monday, fasted yesterday, and did some more peas today. He's acting normally and begging for "real" food (guess he's not a vegan - who knew?), but that stomach is just a little odd. Maybe he's simply more short-bodied than I thought?

Crappy pic, but it's too late to get out the DSLR and it's good enough:

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
I've been a bit concerned that Nanaue may be a bit bloated - at first I just thought he was getting fat, but his stomach is getting awful girthy (as in really round and wide). I fed some boiled peas on Monday, fasted yesterday, and did some more peas today. He's acting normally and begging for "real" food (guess he's not a vegan - who knew?), but that stomach is just a little odd. Maybe he's simply more short-bodied than I thought?

Crappy pic, but it's too late to get out the DSLR and it's good enough:

Could be constipated. Try feeding less, and try to soak pellets in Epsom salt prior to feeding

Reactions: ChrissFishes01

ChrissFishes01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2021
Kentucky
Could be constipated. Try feeding less, and try to soak pellets in Epsom salt prior to feeding
I was thinking that too - I picked up some epsom salt today. There's been no change in behavior, though, so it's a little curious.

I have noticed some of these higher end srds actually have a permanent bloated look to them..maybe it a genetic defect?
Yup it can be genetic.
Yeah, that's what I'm leaning toward at this point. I'm still gonna try the epsom salt, since it's a pretty safe and non-invasive treatment, but I'm thinking he may just be a pretty erm... "rounded out" individual. Looking back at videos and old pics, he's always had a gut - I think maybe I've just been paying more attention lately now that he's hit a growth spurt.

Somewhat unrelated, but... Looks like I'll be moving into a house in the next six months. I sense a 120 in this guy's very near future...

ChrissFishes01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2021
Kentucky
Alrighty, so a week on and there's been no change in appearance or behavior. He's still shaped a bit like a basketball, but he's acting fine.

I assume he'd be showing some behavioral symptoms of bloat by now, so I'm going back to a normal diet and feeding schedule... although, I think I will cut back on the pellets just a bit, since I've heard these chubby flowerhorns are at higher risk of bloat and such anyway.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Alrighty, so a week on and there's been no change in appearance or behavior. He's still shaped a bit like a basketball, but he's acting fine.

I assume he'd be showing some behavioral symptoms of bloat by now, so I'm going back to a normal diet and feeding schedule... although, I think I will cut back on the pellets just a bit, since I've heard these chubby flowerhorns are at higher risk of bloat and such anyway.
What else are you feeding? From what I’ve heard understand pellets are the easiest on flowerhorns digestion anyways.

Reactions: Deadeye

ChrissFishes01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2021
Kentucky
What else are you feeding? From what I’ve heard understand pellets are the easiest on flowerhorns digestion anyways.
ARE the easiest, or AREN'T? I'd always heard that for most fish, pellets and flakes can be a bit tougher to digest than straight plant matter (like peas and such).

He gets 2-3 small Omega One Cichlid pellets in the morning, and then 2-3 Medium Hikari Gold pellets in the evening, along with a small piece of shrimp or a dried mealworm or about a quarter cube of bloodworms. I just kinda alternate the meaty item he gets every day, and only do the mealworm every week or so.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
ARE the easiest, or AREN'T? I'd always heard that for most fish, pellets and flakes can be a bit tougher to digest than straight plant matter (like peas and such).

He gets 2-3 small Omega One Cichlid pellets in the morning, and then 2-3 Medium Hikari Gold pellets in the evening, along with a small piece of shrimp or a dried mealworm or about a quarter cube of bloodworms. I just kinda alternate the meaty item he gets every day, and only do the mealworm every week or so.
ARE. Dried insects are not very good on there digestion system and should be soaked before feeding and only fed 2-3 times a week. Bloodworms have very low nutritional value and also should only be fed a handful of times a week but I wouldn’t feed them at all. Peas are not good to feed regularly. It can be used to quickly clear the digestion system in a case of bloat but is not good for them. They aren’t able to digest non-aquatic plant matter well. In short it’s best for your flowerhorn that pellets make up at least 90% but I think better yet, 100% of its diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store