Apr 26, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
Ammonia ?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Good day, please can someone help. My Birchir Ornate, burnt himself on the heater about a week ago. i noticed the injury and added salt, did a water change and move the heater from the corner of the tank (i have looked for guards, there are non in South Africa that i can find). over the week his injury slowly got worse. eventually i contacted Sechem and i was assisted with some medical advise. My fish has been in QT for 4 days and has his 2nd dose of Kanaplex. Please can someone tell me what else i can do for my fish. He is not eating but is still actively swimming around the tank. i have tried to entice him with bloodworms, some chicken heart and muscles. Perhaps i have missed him eat a bite here and there. I have tested the QT water, NO3 is 10 - NO2 is 0 - GH KH PH are all good and CL2 is 0. I have a spray bar and an air stone and temp is 27. The first picture was taken during the week, when i notice the burn was getting worse - so i did a 50% waster change and added salt. The second picture was taken on Satureday when i started the KanaPlex and i had him in QT and the last picture was taken this morning Monday 27/6/20. i did a 50% water change (was not sure if this was a good thing to do, no indication on the medication bottle Y or N) and added second dose of Kanaplex

Drado thursday23062022.jpeg

draco sunday 26062022.jpeg

Daco monday27062022.jpeg

Ali-T

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2022
Looks more like some kind of infection than a burn to me
I agree, first it was just a white patch on his side, then it slowly got worse. From the white patch it got fluff and i think he rubbed it on something ? and from there it has been down hill.
thanks for the comments, appreciate it

anitstuk123

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2022
Good day, please can someone help. My Birchir Ornate, burnt himself on the heater about a week ago. i noticed the injury and added salt, did a water change and move the heater from the corner of the tank (i have looked for guards, there are non in South Africa that i can find). over the week his injury slowly got worse. eventually i contacted Sechem and i was assisted with some medical advise. My fish has been in QT for 4 days and has his 2nd dose of Kanaplex. Please can someone tell me what else i can do for my fish. He is not eating but is still actively swimming around the tank. i have tried to entice him with bloodworms, some chicken heart and muscles. Perhaps i have missed him eat a bite here and there. I have tested the QT water, NO3 is 10 - NO2 is 0 - GH KH PH are all good and CL2 is 0. I have a spray bar and an air stone and temp is 27. The first picture was taken during the week, when i notice the burn was getting worse - so i did a 50% waster change and added salt. The second picture was taken on Satureday when i started the KanaPlex and i had him in QT and the last picture was taken this morning Monday 27/6/20. i did a 50% water change (was not sure if this was a good thing to do, no indication on the medication bottle Y or N) and added second dose of Kanaplex

View attachment 1498153

View attachment 1498154

View attachment 1498155
Is there any evidence that it actually burnt itself and isn't actually an infection? Would it of burnt itself from the heater? I agree with everyone else but I'm not an expert

Ali-T

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2022
Is there any evidence that it actually burnt itself and isn't actually an infection? Would it of burnt itself from the heater? I agree with everyone else but I'm not an expert
Hi thanks for the response. I dont dispute that it isn't an infections, and yes, i saw him lying in the corner of the fish tank upright against the heater, and not long after that he had the white patch. i am however, asking, for advice on how to treat it, other than Seachem's Kanaplex and salt in the water. i have just noticed that he is rubbing himself against the filter, so i have, as best as possible, moved horizontally in the tank so it is awkward to get to. As i stated he is in a QT, and i have inspected his home tank and none of the other bichir have injuries or show any kind of infection. Kind regards

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Not being certain how the 'injury' started makes difficult to come up with useful suggestions.
Regardless, the way I see it is this - If there was a burn or other physical injury, then now there is that (which needs to be healed), plus a secondary infection (looks bacterial but fungus usually come hand in hand) that needs to be solved separately. Because the 2nd infection occur, that suggests that bacterial/fungal load in the tank was relatively high.
I would up water changes and add salt and observe, only then. decide.

Ali-T

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2022
Not being certain how the 'injury' started makes difficult to come up with useful suggestions.
Regardless, the way I see it is this - If there was a burn or other physical injury, then now there is that (which needs to be healed), plus a secondary infection (looks bacterial but fungus usually come hand in hand) that needs to be solved separately. Because the 2nd infection occur, that suggests that bacterial/fungal load in the tank was relatively high.
I would up water changes and add salt and observe, only then. decide.
Thanks so much for your valued comments, i do 50% every week, with filter clean. when i saw the injury i did a water change, changed half the filter media and added salt. and again 3 days later i did another water change, and checked the salt level and added. i used a hydrometer 1.00. (i have 2 snails, Peter Elephant Nose and 2 other juvenile bichir ornates as tank mates). i will monitor my little man for now, he is very active in the QT so i am very hopeful

dnz03dw

Aimara
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
i would add meds to treat it. i recommend nitrofurazone.

Reactions: Ali-T

Ali-T

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2022
i would add meds to treat it. i recommend nitrofurazone.

good morning, thank you so much for your valued reply. i will research this product and see if it is available in South Africa or if i can find a similar product with the same active ingredient. Tomorrow will be 48hrs after his last does of Kanaplex, so i will be able to add a different medication. Please advise if i must do a partial water change change. his QT is 80cm x 30cm x 30xm and i have an internal filter with spray bar and air stone. temp is 27* and water tested today N02 -0 / NO3- 25 - gh ph kh are good and cl2 -0 ( i use sera test strips) Amonia?
Once again thank you for your advise

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store