Bichir with wound

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
good morning, thank you so much for your valued reply. i will research this product and see if it is available in South Africa or if i can find a similar product with the same active ingredient. Tomorrow will be 48hrs after his last does of Kanaplex, so i will be able to add a different medication. Please advise if i must do a partial water change change. his QT is 80cm x 30cm x 30xm and i have an internal filter with spray bar and air stone. temp is 27* and water tested today N02 -0 / NO3- 25 - gh ph kh are good and cl2 -0 ( i use sera test strips) Amonia?
Once again thank you for your advise
I would always do a water change prior to switching medications. If you have activated carbon, then use that as well for at least 24 hours prior to using new medication, and then removing it.

Reactions: Ali-T

Ali-T

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2022
I would always do a water change prior to switching medications. If you have activated carbon, then use that as well for at least 24 hours prior to using new medication, and then removing it.
Thank you very much for your comment. i do have active carbon, i use it in my canister filters. I will follow your advice. I looked up the availability of nitrofurazone. in south africa but unfortunately only available on Amazon as an import. so i did the next best thing and looked for an anti-protozoan medication, i found two SulphaPlex and Paraguard (both Seachem products). I opted for the latter as it is not copper based. I also got Stress Guard which is an antiseptic and good for stress, and can be used in conjunction with the Paraguard I also bout blood worms with garlic, i am trying to get him to eat "something".
Thank you so much for your valued input.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Thank you very much for your comment. i do have active carbon, i use it in my canister filters. I will follow your advice. I looked up the availability of nitrofurazone. in south africa but unfortunately only available on Amazon as an import. so i did the next best thing and looked for an anti-protozoan medication, i found two SulphaPlex and Paraguard (both Seachem products). I opted for the latter as it is not copper based. I also got Stress Guard which is an antiseptic and good for stress, and can be used in conjunction with the Paraguard I also bout blood worms with garlic, i am trying to get him to eat "something".
Thank you so much for your valued input.
I'm pretty sure Paraguard works better as a topical for open wounds, but I haven't found it very effective for bacterial infections. Paraguard requires dosing every day and when using a water conditioner, you need to wait a few hours after a water change, and then redose with paraguard.

I personally would try the Sulfaplex first (as an antibiotic).

Reactions: Ali-T

Ali-T

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2022
I'm pretty sure Paraguard works better as a topical for open wounds, but I haven't found it very effective for bacterial infections. Paraguard requires dosing every day and when using a water conditioner, you need to wait a few hours after a water change, and then redose with paraguard.

I personally would try the Sulfaplex first (as an antibiotic).
Oh thanks for that, i will prepare the water tonight for the change, and put a heater in the bucket to ensure good temperature, that will give it 10hours to stand after water conditioner and should be ready for use. all this information is going into my note book. We have saved his life once before. he jumped out the fish tank, and when i noticed, he didnt look to good on the floor. How he got out the cover is still a mistery. anyway we nursed him back to health, and now this. I have 6 other polyeterus, and none of them have given me as much trouble as this little man. This little man is only about 6mnth old, my others are 3/4 years old. (ornate, delhezi, sengal, albino senegal and 2 others that i can remember their names) oh not all in the same tank.
thank you very much for your advise, greatly appreciate

Ali-T

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2022
Hi there I fell so bad for ur bichir hope it gets well soon
Good morning, thank you for your thoughts. Well my little man/lady is hanging in there. We are nearly 7days in QT. He is eating #happydance and this morning i found our first poop in the tank, yipppee, which i think is a good sign. Thanks to Rocksor's comments i returned the Paraguard and took Sulphplex medication. His wound is still looking very nasty but i dont know how long these things take to heal but he is actively swimming around his tank, greets me in the morning, he is eating AND POOPING which in my book is all good signs.
Best regards

Ali-T

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2022
On a different note, i would like to share a picture of One of my pride and joys, I have name him? Draco, he is 4 years old, i got him when we was just a tenny wenny little chap. He has got such a character. When i do house keeping (tank), i have to clean around him, coz he does'nt move. occationally he enjoys a little bit of a loving louch.

Draco.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
On a different note, i would like to share a picture of One of my pride and joys, I have name him? Draco, he is 4 years old, i got him when we was just a tenny wenny little chap. He has got such a character. When i do house keeping (tank), i have to clean around him, coz he does'nt move. occationally he enjoys a little bit of a loving louch.

View attachment 1498391
Nice looking endlicheri.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store