Red vs purple wolf - differences?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
After losing my fish to o2 deprivation and potential mycobacterium, I’m going to be restarting my 36 gallon bow front, and am looking back at one of my original stocking ideas - erythrinus erythrinus.
I know there’s the Peru variant (purple) and the regular ones, and was curious if anyone knows the differences between the two, if there are any significant ones.
To my knowledge:
Purple has a more purple coloration as opposed to the black/gray on the red
Purple maxes slightly smaller
Purple is a bit less active/more shy
Assuming this is true, the purple is a better fit for the tank size, right? Any other differences I should know about?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: jjohnwm and Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yes less active shy when she was smaller was afraid of cichlids in a members aquarium. She probably was only around 3-4 inches buy she fully matured would flare up at a large Ornate lol.
Pic of her the last post
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/pics-of-inhabitants-in-the-180.676915/post-7607582
Great looking fish and tank!
Do they eventually ge the same amount of red or is the grayish purple more common?
Also I was thinking of trying some neocardina in the tank with it, or would that just be throwing money away?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Do you think a Raphael would mix well with one? I’ve got one in my cichlid setup and it wouldn’t hurt to reduce the stocking in there. I can always move him back if there’s any aggression.

wolffishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 24, 2010
usa
I had a Sp peru about 10 years ago brought in by Rapps if I recall correctly and it was very timid. He ended up close to 10 inches and about as fat as a cucumber. I really enjoyed that fish.
Currently have a Curu around 10in and hes awesome

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Just about the time I picked up a Peru-sourced Red Wolf (sold as a "Rainbow Wolf") a couple months back, I read that this variation was supposedly known to show more orange on the belly. Mine showed none, and the only colour that has begun to be visible now is a few random orange splotches above and below the central dark stripe. Still far from colourful; I can't honestly say I see any purple in him.

He's a slow grower, started under three inches and now perhaps four. Extremely timid for several weeks, but now quite vivacious and out-going. Periodically spends long periods hiding but charges out to feed, or to chase a red laser-pointer dot which I use to wake him up in case opening the lid doesn't do it. :)

Eats anything...krill, earthworms, pellets, etc. Dwarf shrimp would not stand a chance. He didn't require any training or trickery to get him going on prepared foods, unlike many predators.

When I first got him I placed a Hoplo cat slightly larger than him in his tank to help clean up missed food particles. He ignored it at first but eventually became very aggressive towards it, to the point where I removed it. I feed him food items small enough to be swallowed whole so there is little or no uneaten wasted food.

Interesting and entertaining fish; very happy I finally found one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store