Tiger Scat + Panther Grouper + Silver Argus

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
After 7 day acclimation from freshwater finally reached 1.020 & have the tiger scat in brackish chilling with new tank mates.

We'll keep the SG at 1.020 for a few months and get them into full marine by the new year!

Old thread on my tiger scat acclimation:

Old YouTube from 2020 w/ him chilling w/ aro + rays:

Recent vid from April 2, 2022 when he was taking care of the motoros:

Day 1 pic with the barramundi cod aka panther grouper -

IMG_2041.jpg

Chilling at the top of the tank waiting for food Silver Scatophagus Argus up close -

IMG_2042.jpg

TUCCI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2018
Colorado
Those panther groupers get massive. He won’t stay that small for long…..had one years ago in a 125 Plexi…..at close to 2 ft he was eating everything in the tank to the point that he’d cause a whirlpool from circling the tank….he had to go..

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Those panther groupers get massive. He won’t stay that small for long…..had one years ago in a 125 Plexi…..at close to 2 ft he was eating everything in the tank to the point that he’d cause a whirlpool from circling the tank….he had to go..
That's insane! haha heck yeah I'm excited to have one! Wanting to add a lates calcarifer/japonicus in a few months if I can find one same size as the grouper. I kept salt maybe 10 yrs ago good to get back into reefing again now too. Craziest saltwater fish I had was a puffer he got to about 13" lol I could hear him crunch his teeth all day begging for food.

Reactions: TUCCI and tlindsey

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Update ID on the (Silver Scat) Scatophagus Argus, it is actually sold as Selenotoca Multifasciatus!

Same fish with 2 scientific names!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8344227/

**In the ML phylogenetic tree, S. argus from Beibu bay was first clustered with S. argus collected from Yangjiang, Guangdong province, China. Then, it was clustered with Selenotoca multifasciata, which were classified into Scatophagidae family. Siganus guttatus, Siganus sutor, Siganus canaliculatus, and Siganus fuscescens formed another clade, which were classified into Siganidae family. Ephippus orbis, Platax orbicularis and Platax teira formed another clade, which were classified into Ephippidae family (Figure 1). The results showed that Scatophagidae has the closer relationship with Ephippidae thanSiganidae. This study will enrich the genome data of Scatophagidae, and will be useful for resources conservation and management of S. argus. and on and on and..**

IMG_2049(1).PNG

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Tiger Scat in full marine at 1.025 specific gravity!

African tiger scat hanging out with yellow tang!.. lunar lyretail wrasse, silver scat, dottyback, and some chromis! From koi, to arowanas, to stingrays, he made it around the world to his own reef! He beat up the panther grouper in the 1st-2nd week but wasn't even phased by the acclimation process to salt so i knew he would only get along with fish faster than he is. Wish list coming soon: another wrasse? mandarin goby, flame angel, look downs, another scat?

The silver scat follows/shoals him all the time pretty much and both eat good during the day now as the reef fish schedule took away his nocturnal schedule. He's been in 1.024-1.025 for the past month it's time to see if he can live with sponges & other inverts or anything non-photosynthetic. Maybe an anemone or something venomous he can't tear up? Lunar wrasse is pretty wild so will stick to larger inverts and see how it goes + they'll probably eat up some micro algae & plants but we'll try and see what works.

<---his old homies!

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Invertebrate sponge added to the tiger reef!
updated stock: tiger scat, silver scat, yellow tang, flasher wrasse, lunar wrasse, chromis, dottyback, & sand conch!
water changes getting expensive $40-$60 a month might need to make some adjustments on feeding or add a new filter gah.

Bonytang

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2018
Feeding time at the TIGER REEF 🐠

New fins coming after black friday lol.
I just got a condy anemone but he's in a different tank. Gave him a shrimp last night still eating it today haha.
I might put him in the 150g when the other fish get a little bigger or maybe just get a less aggressive anemone.
Things are cool looking but pretty much will sting any fish & put it on the menuIMG_2291.jpg.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store