True Siamese Tigerfish (Datnoides pulcher) are available again

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
They are microchipped and come with a certificate from Thailand. There is one registered farm producing them there now:

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That video looks familiar.....something about the guy constantly fondling the poor fish.

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
Yes, in many ways the fish trade in Asia is very different from what you find in Europe or N America.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
They may be chipped. They may be shipped from Thailand.

It would be easy to get a few three bar IT, chip them and export them.

Beware, all that glitters is not gold.

Reactions: Wrinkle_gang

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They may be chipped. They may be shipped from Thailand.

It would be easy to get a few three bar IT, chip them and export them.

Beware, all that glitters is not gold.
What would the point be in "chipping" them?

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Interesting topic.

The microchip provides a unique number which can be registered to a third party database if one wishes. I use them to identify my broodstock (sex, age, lineage etc) but don't bother with registering the numbers anywhere, just on my own spreadsheet.

I've visited two fish farms in Indonesia and watched/helped them induce and harvest datanoides spawns several years ago. I don't remember what type unfortunately. I was more interested in other fish species there.

Midwater Midwater , what would convince you? Can't you visit this farm since your already in Thailand?

Reactions: deeda

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Midwater Midwater , what would convince you? Can't you visit this farm since your already in Thailand?
That's the point.

I have visited an awful lot of fish farm, and have known many breeders.

No one in Thailand expects to get a Pulcher.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Only one farm to visit. This farm claims to breed the fish you want and can prove it's their fish produced with a chip.

It's breeding season and you would see the broodstock, hopefully the whole process. Not worth a look? Or are pulcher ID difficult to confirm even as adults?

I'll send you a private message later. I'm looking to visit Thailand to find specific species fish breeders. If you know - have visited lots of farms, that would be useful. Even if you speak Thai & interested in monster fish, that would be helpful.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store