True Siamese Tigerfish (Datnoides pulcher) are available again

Wrinkle_gang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2023
They may be chipped. They may be shipped from Thailand.

It would be easy to get a few three bar IT, chip them and export them.

Beware, all that glitters is not gold.
My thoughts too. I’ve seen an ST for sale recently by a famous vendor and it looks suspect to me. These are just 3 bar indos in my opinion.

I’ve been out the game a few years though. I could be wrong.

Reactions: Midwater

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
My thoughts too. I’ve seen an ST for sale recently by a famous vendor and it looks suspect to me. These are just 3 bar indos in my opinion.

I’ve been out the game a few years though. I could be wrong.
You referring to Predatory Fins? He had 2 for sale I got one and someone got the other one. If it was just Rod selling these 2 ST I would question it but since Kevin is Linked up with PF now I’m not worry about if they real or not. Kevin know his stuff and I doubt Kevin would sell a 3 bar as a ST. If you know Kevin he been bringing a hand full of real ST for his special customers and he keeps some for him self. You dnt hear about it because most are sold before they land.

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Rotaryp04s Rotaryp04s Come to Thailand. Look for them. Go to every fish vendor and every fish breeder. Learn the language. Go the ministry of fisheries. Go to the World Wildlife fund. Mix with the exporters and smugglers. Spend years in Thailand, spend decades. Explore the river systems and artery canals.

Get used to the heat and eat good food.

Find just one ST!

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Rotaryp04s Rotaryp04s Come to Thailand. Look for them. Go to every fish vendor and every fish breeder. Learn the language. Go the ministry of fisheries. Go to the World Wildlife fund. Mix with the exporters and smugglers. Spend years in Thailand, spend decades. Explore the river systems and artery canals.

Find just one ST!
I would love to, but I would look other places in far Asia like people home aquariums I’m aware they’re extinct from the wild. The best 3bars in the world will never look like a ST.

Reactions: krichardson

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
I dnt want to post too much pics from Kevin to derail this trend. Here’s one of the ST Kevin brought in two years ago. If this not a ST I don’t know what is! They might be gone in rivers but they’re still in peoples aquarium in Asia. The tornado/dagger bar is dead on this fish!

2A6A80E0-759D-4559-966A-A35796D51C5B.jpeg

Reactions: altums85

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I dnt want to post too much pics from Kevin to derail this trend. Here’s one of the ST Kevin brought in two years ago. If this not a ST I don’t know what is! They might be gone in rivers but they’re still in peoples aquarium in Asia. The tornado/dagger bar is dead on this fish!

View attachment 1516178
That one with its dark base color reminds me of the very first pulcher I laid my eyes on many years ago.

Reactions: Rotaryp04s

Wrinkle_gang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2023

Find just one ST!
So after doing some digging and talking to some guys in Asia it would seem the parents to these so called ST are actually ST and NTT so they are not true ST. Just a good looking hybrid. Just because a fish has a microchip does not mean it is ST. Granted there are still true ST in aquariums all around the world but these baby ST are not true ST. But the closest you will get today.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
So after doing some digging and talking to some guys in Asia it would seem the parents to these so called ST are actually ST and NTT so they are not true ST. Just a good looking hybrid. Just because a fish has a microchip does not mean it is ST. Granted there are still true ST in aquariums all around the world but these baby ST are not true ST. But the closest you will get today.
Well this is a new one. First I’m hearing ST being crossed with a ntt even though many speculate Indo’s which would make more sense considering both are more similar in size, body shape, etc. Tomorrow it will be silvers lol

Wrinkle_gang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2023
The guy that told me has seen videos of the parents and he’s been in the game a very long time. I first met him on here actually. Probably 15 years ago now. I have no reason to doubt him either. He had one of the best tiger collections I’ve ever seen.
He doesn’t come on here anymore which is a shame. But since I’ve returned I have noticed the number of hobbyist in general has seriously declined.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store