Plumbing questions on 2 Fx6 in a 180 gallon

turbo74pinto

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2009
Willoughby Ohio
I’m looking for intake and outlet suggestions for a pair of FX6 filters in this 180. My thought is put the intakes in both back corners, 6 or so inches from the substrate. Then have the outlets in the center facing forward. Maybe face them up slightly for some surface agitation. I’m also thinking some sponge pre filters, or something equivalent, would be a good idea to help keep sand out of the filter. This will be a planted tank with 8-10 native Ohio fish including a pair of bullhead. Since I am new to planted tanks, I ordered 2 standard D bundles from Dustin’s aquarium. Any photos and information is appreciated!

D506F3A4-8C45-4337-8DCD-122B71ABDFBA.jpeg

Disturbed.)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
High tech or low tech? If high tech you won't want them pointing up towards the surface unless you have a really big co2 budget. If low tech you want the surface near boiling to get as much co2 into the tank as possible.
The way you suggest the inputs and outputs sounds fine. Or you could put the intakes at the corners and the spray bars along the tops of each side glass to get a gyre effect since you have the big piece of driftwood centered in the tank

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Using pre-filter sponges on the FX6 filters can be hit or miss, definitely avoid using fine sponges. They will probably need very frequent cleaning due to the GPH of the filter and can potentially collapse and get sucked into the filter.

What substrate are you using and how fine is it?

turbo74pinto

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2009
Willoughby Ohio
Sorry, I don’t know what you mean by low or high tech. As far as the plants, the conversation I had with the people at Dustin’s was to order 2 of those kits and specify that I’m a beginner. So my assumption is they are going to send me plants that are easy to keep alive. I don’t have CO2 at this point and don’t know if I will end up going that route in the future. It all depends on how the tank goes and if I’m happy with it I guess.

The substrate is Carib-Sea sand. It’s about the same as silica sand blasting sand. Maybe a tad larger.
High tech or low tech? If high tech you won't want them pointing up towards the surface unless you have a really big co2 budget. If low tech you want the surface near boiling to get as much co2 into the tank as possible.
The way you suggest the inputs and outputs sounds fine. Or you could put the intakes at the corners and the spray bars along the tops of each side glass to get a gyre effect since you have the big piece of driftwood centered in the tank
Using pre-filter sponges on the FX6 filters can be hit or miss, definitely avoid using fine sponges. They will probably need very frequent cleaning due to the GPH of the filter and can potentially collapse and get sucked into the filter.

What substrate are you using and how fine is it?

Disturbed.)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
I agree with Deeda on the prefilter sponges. The catfish will stir up some sand occasionally but as long as you really rinsed the fines out of it before you added it to the tank the intakes should be OK at 6" off the substrate.
When a canister catches sand it gets caught in the filter before it reaches the motor assembly. Might even help clean your intake hose. It's the abrasive fines you want to make sure don't get sucked up because they make it through and can grind up a $200 motor assembly in short order

Disturbed.)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
High tech applies to injected co2 and lights powerful enough to match, usually goes along with a ridgid fertilization schedule. Low Tech can be a bunch of things but means no injected co2 and low light levels. If you are diving into your first planted tank don't plant lightly. Pack as many as you can in, especially stem plants. It helps combat the algea battles you are about to face. Be prepared with the bullheads keeping plants alive and rooted, with only sand substrate, will be more difficult than keeping fish but it sure as hell is a fun challenge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store