New girlfriend!

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I met someone new over Christmas so unfortunately I'm going to tell the wife to pack her bags and get lost!

This new lady in my life is a dream. Her soft spoken voice leaves me tingling. When I tell her to do something she god damn does it, no questions and no back chat, my type of woman.

I have yet to introduce her to my hobby but the way things are going so far I reckon she'll allow me as many tanks as I wish!

The wife's only got herself to blame as she was the one who introduced me to her on Christmas morning!

The only niggling problem I have....any ideas on how I'm going to consummate my new relationship:uhoh:

Meet the new love of my life, I introduce you to.....Alexa!!

View attachment 1532273
LOL I was worried this might be your last post!

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Beware friend. I have so many Alexa's in my home that everywhere I go she's telling me what to do. She's worse than my wife.
Sounds terrible! How on earth did all of them get in there? :ROFL:

• Haha
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
Sounds terrible! How on earth did all of them get in there? :ROFL:
Started off rather innocently with a couple of Echo Dots, then got an Ecobee t-stat which my daughter somehow connected to Alexa, then my wife brought home a couple of Echo Shows, which are the worst. Thankfully I recently discovered I could slide her camera closed on the Echo Shows so now she can no longer see me.

Seriously speaking though, she does remind me of my Amazon.com packages' shipping status, when someone's at the door (via Ring doorbell), and other informational messages about my door lock, wifi outlets (aquarium filters, lights, etc).

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
To be honest, being a complete technophobe, I wouldn't ever ordinarily purchase something like this myself, I completely understand where John's coming from. It's not my type of thing either. And the fact the damn thing farts on command is just plain daft, even more reason to dislike it......but......

I've discovered to my complete delight that, on command, she will play a song of your choice, any song you like. I've tried to catch her out with obscure album tracks but she comes up trumps everytime. And even though it's only a very small unit the sound quality is surprisingly good.

And for that one music playing reason only, I can definitely say....she's a keeper!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Seriously speaking though, she does remind me of my Amazon.com packages' shipping status, when someone's at the door (via Ring doorbell), and other informational messages about my door lock, wifi outlets (aquarium filters, lights, etc).
I haven't a clue regarding the true extent of the capabilities of this thing, but I absolutely believe you when you say that it can perform all those things you mentioned, and no doubt literally millions of other tasks too.

I'm a simple guy who's just happy to listen to music on it to be honest. No rooting through my record and CD collection anymore, I can just ask her to play whatever I want. I love that. Lol.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
I haven't a clue regarding the true extent of the capabilities of this thing, but I absolutely believe you when you say that it can perform all those things you mentioned, and no doubt literally millions of other tasks too.
You’d be surprised. My father’s a bit of a tech geek. He has this Alexa hooked up to almost everything: Indoor lights, outdoor lights, ceiling fans, Christmas decorations, air conditioners, and I can go on and on. Me personally, I just prefer normal on/off switches lol.

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
You’d be surprised. My father’s a bit of a tech geek. He has this Alexa hooked up to almost everything: Indoor lights, outdoor lights, ceiling fans, Christmas decorations, air conditioners, and I can go on and on. Me personally, I just prefer normal on/off switches lol.
Exactly. I can control most functions with voice commands but I usually just sit with my phone and use the Alexa app.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Exactly. I can control most functions with voice commands but I usually just sit with my phone and use the Alexa app.
How does that work? I mean lights, fans, etc, anything electrical basically? Usually you switch a switch. But Alexa can't switch a switch, unless the appliants you mention have to be "smart devices" to start off with, and then I suspect Alexa can indeed control them via Bluetooth or however it does it???

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Started off rather innocently with a couple of Echo Dots, then got an Ecobee t-stat which my daughter somehow connected to Alexa, then my wife brought home a couple of Echo Shows, which are the worst. Thankfully I recently discovered I could slide her camera closed on the Echo Shows so now she can no longer see me.

Okay, gotcha. So...your house infested with virtual digi-roaches because you brought them in yourself. :)

I'm not completely averse to technology. For instance, at my front and back doors I have a high-tech device that incorporates a momentary-contact push-button which energizes an audible tone generator located inside the house when it is activated. The two doors even have separate addresses, generating different audible alerts that allow one to discern which has been activated. It's virtually foolproof; called a "door bell", harkening back to an ancient acoustic signalling device. The front door even has a back-up device consisting of a curved metal piece with a knob-like protrusion in the middle and a hinge at each end. Lifting this weighted knob and then allowing it to fall, or manually striking it, against the metal mounting plate on the door itself sets up vibrations that create a metallic clanking sound. It's extremely versatile and energy-efficient, can be easily heard anywhere inside the building, and the output volume, rhythm and cadence are easily and infinitely variable with no tools required. It's called a "knocker", again paying homage to prehistoric signalling methods used in caves.

Both methods can be utilized as real-time indicators that there is someone at the door...in case you have dropped, lost or broken your cell phone and your door is thus unable to call you. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store