New girlfriend!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Both methods can be utilized as real-time indicators that there is someone at the door.
The poetic way in which you described those two basic devices had me thinking that something new and fantastic had just come out, lol, then it clicked, lol.

We can't have "door bells" or "door knockers" in blighty. The Jehovah's witnesses wear the damn things out!!

Now, if said devices could be rigged up to a high powered shotgun, then I'm all ears, lol.

Wait! Maybe I can sit my new girlfriend on the front windowsill and she can forewarn me when Jehovah's witnesses are coming up the path, and I can hide like the coward I am, lol.

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
How does that work? I mean lights, fans, etc, anything electrical basically? Usually you switch a switch. But Alexa can't switch a switch, unless the appliants you mention have to be "smart devices" to start off with, and then I suspect Alexa can indeed control them via Bluetooth or however it does it???
It seems like everything is 'Alexa compatible' these days. So smart devices (exterior lights, ecotech aquarium equipment, a/c systems, appliances, door locks) can be directly connected to Alexa. Non-smart devices can be connected to wifi outlets (which are connected to Alexa). So anything connected to Alexa can be named within the Alexa app and then controlled with voice commands. Smart devices can be made to do whatever function the manufacturer has assigned to remote control (ex/ I can turn on my oven but not the stove top remotely). The wifi outlets can be turned off/on with voice commands. RE: voice commands: syntax is important and sometimes using specific words is important depending on the device. Using the app to control everything is easy and works from anywhere that you have an internet connection.

Not everything in my home is connected to Alexa. And after a couple weeks the novelty wears off and in a lot of cases just go back to using manual functions. Exterior lights are on an internet timer so I never need to mess with those. But I still use Alexa for turning off/on my fish tank equipment when doing maintenance & water changes, which is a lifesaver really.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
And after a couple weeks the novelty wears off and in a lot of cases just go back to using manual functions.
And there we have it right there!! No matter how fancy some of these modern day gadgets are, sometimes you just can't beat getting up off your arse and doing it yourself, lol.

But I must say, asking Alexa to play a song, whilst sitting down comfortably in my chair, certainly beats delving into my vast record and CD collection to dig out said tune. So, in that respect, she is definitely here to stay.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...Using the app to control everything is easy and works from anywhere that you have an internet connection...after a couple weeks the novelty wears off and in a lot of cases just go back to using manual functions.
For some of us, there is no place more appealing...than somewhere that you have no internet connection available to you. And the novelty of having a house that relieves you from the necessity of ever getting out of your chair, and which will probably wipe your a** for you if asked...wears out before we even experience it. :)

And there we have it right there!! No matter how fancy some of these modern day gadgets are, sometimes you just can't beat getting up off your arse and doing it yourself, lol.

But I must say, asking Alexa to play a song, whilst sitting down comfortably in my chair, certainly beats delving into my vast record and CD collection to dig out said tune. So, in that respect, she is definitely here to stay.
Again, does everything have to be that easy? I have a bunch of old LP's also; the visceral appeal of sliding one out of its jacket and sleeve, laying it carefully on a turntable and then gently lowering the needle into position...makes listening to the old music that much more wonderful...as do the hisses and pops on the recording.

You know what they say about the journey being as important as the destination...:)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You know what they say about the journey being as important as the destination...:)
I hear you loud and clear on that one. I used to love spending a full afternoon with just my old vinyl. I rarely do it nowadays though. The main reason for this is that to get to that "destination" you describe, I have to take a "journey" up a rickety pair of stepladders to my attic to retrieve them!

ALEXA...MAKE ME A SANDWICH!
I didn't know your wife was called Alexa krich!! Lol.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I didn't know your wife was called Alexa krich!! Lol.
She actually has one of those gadgets and she gets an attitude with it nearly every morning when it's alarm goes off and plays music.....she yells, ALEXA, SHUT THE HELL UP!!....and the thing goes..."Okay" before it turns off the music.

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
Got three Alexa’s with lightbulbs in the bedrooms in our house. Going to bed is a bloody nightmare! One on , one off, wrong one! Woke up eldest. Now it’s a fxxxing game to wake us up at the smallest of hours! And yet Alexa still ignores me just as much as the wife does, at least that’s comforting.
She frequently ignores me unless I turn and look at her camera 🙄

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
She frequently ignores me unless I turn and look at her camera 🙄
Now I'm confused. Who is ignoring you? Alexa? Your wife? krich's wife???

But this is turning out to be far more nefarious than I originally suspected. These things are all hooked up to each other and the rest of the world through the internet...they have cameras and are watching us as well as listening...and you folks have them set up in your bedrooms?!?!?!?

The mind boggles at the variety of new crimes and misdemeanours and syndromes that may soon be creeping into the consciousness and vocabulary of today's population of enlightened Homo sapiens, now that they share reality and virtuality with their cunning new creations. AIEX (Artificial Intelligence Extortion)...AIEM (Artificial Intelligence Embezzlement)...AIIED (Artificial Intelligence Induced Erectile Dysfunction)...

There's an exceptionally well-done and imaginative series on Netflix called Love, Death And Robots that consists of a series of unrelated animated short stories that are all sci-fi and/or horror themed. They're all good; some astonishingly so. Most of them are fairly relevant to this thread; the whole series should be required viewing for those worshipping at the digital feet of the oncoming AI horde. Most episodes are only about 15 minutes in length; you can watch an entire season (there are three so far, more apparently on the way) in the time it takes to view a single traditional movie.

Esox, I know you are still smarting from the sting delivered to your senses by Predestination, and thus might
be hesitant to take this recommendation from me. As much as I enjoyed listening to your head implode after that flick...I could indeed hear it all the way across the Atlantic...I swear on my Jelly Cat's soul that you will be impressed by Love, Death And Robots and need to see it! :)

ALEXA...MAKE ME A SANDWICH!
Careful! Someday soon, you will say that...and she will say "Okay"... and that will be the last we ever hear from you!

The poetic way in which you described those two basic devices had me thinking that something new and fantastic had just come out...
Okay, now, be honest...you were already grabbing for your wallet at that point...:)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store