American Cichlid Tank setups

Bill83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2024
Hello first post here,

I currently have three tanks 125, 135 and a 4x2 120 gallon.

Looking to setup a south or central american cichlid tank in the 4x2 120 gallon tank

Any suggestions on stocking ?

I know oscars will destroy plants and pretty much anything else they can dig up but do you guys know of any other setups i can do with a planted tank ?

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello first post here,

I currently have three tanks 125, 135 and a 4x2 120 gallon.

Looking to setup a south or central american cichlid tank in the 4x2 120 gallon tank

Any suggestions ?

I know oscars will destroy plans and pretty much anything else they can dig up but do you guys know of any other setups i can do with a planted tank ?

Thanks
Bill
Welcome aboard
Do you know what your PH have tested water GH, and KH coming from your tap? That will make suggestions easier for us.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Bill83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2024
Welcome aboard
Do you know what your PH have tested water GH, and KH coming from your tap? That will make suggestions easier for us.
Mid to high 7s for PH, i have an overstocked mbuna tank so for africians it works out nice. If i can keep plants then ill inject Co2 and it will help lower the ph to low 7s. To be honest i am all over the place with what i wanna do i really like the idea of maybe a pair of red terrors. I mainly do reef tank stuff so i honestly forget what my GH/KH is out of the tap because i have been using rodi water in the reef tanks for so long but if i remember correctly my KH was also low for plants

Last edited:

Bill83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2024
i have 1 FX6 i can use and i would buy another if needed if i did decide to do an oscar would i just do 1 in the 120 ?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I was under the assumption that hole in head was from lack of filtration
Filtration also can play a part if not kept free of waste.
Waste will contribute to Nitrate. Proper water changes and aquarium maintenance is crucial.

Reactions: tonymofo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store