African Tiger Fish (Hydrocynus) ID and Care Guide 3.0

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
*Commandeered for Guide usage*

References

All Tackle Species List “T”. (2012). IGFA Online WORLD RECORD SEARCH. Retrieved from: http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecSearchList.aspx?lc=AllTackle

Bailey, R. (1969). The non-cichlid fishes of the eastward flowing rivers of Tanzania, East Africa. Revue de Zoologie et de Botanique Africaines 80 (1-2): 17-199.

Brewster, B. (1986). A review of the genus Hydrocynus Cuvier 1819 (Teleostei: Characiformes). Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History) Zoology 50(3): 163-206.

Chen, F., Prowse, G. (1964). The effect of living space on the growth rate of fish. Ichthyologica 3 (1-2): 11-20.

Cotterill, F. P. D. & Goodier, S. A. (2009). How many tigerfish species? Genetic insights into the evolution of Africa's Tigerfish and the taxonomic status of Tanzanian Hydrocynus. African Fisherman 20 (6): 37-41.

Fishing World Records. (2012). Characins. Retrieved from: http://www.fishing-worldrecords.com/groupname/characins/show

Gabie, V. (1965). Problems associated with the distribution of freshwater fishes in Southern Africa. South African Journal of Science 61: 11.

Gagiano, C. (1997). An ecological study on the tigerfish Hydrocynus vittatus in the Olifants and Letaba Rivers with special reference to artificial reproduction. Rand Afrikaans University.

Goodier, S., Cotterill, F., O'Ryan, C., Skelton, P., de Wit, M. (2011). Cryptic Diversity of African Tigerfish (Genus Hydrocynus) Reveals Palaeogeographic Signatures of Linked Neogene Geotectonic Events. Public Library of Science, 6 (12). doi 10.1371.

Kotze, A., van der Bank, F., Steyn, G. (1998). Allozyme variation in two populations of Hydrocynus vittatus (Pisces, Characidae). South African Journal of Animal Science 28 (3/4): 153-160.

Lewis, D. (1976). The food and feeding habits of Hydrocynus forskahlii Cuvier and Hydrocynus brevis Günther in Lake Kainji, Nigeria. Journal of Fish Biology, 6 (4): 349-363.

Matthes, H. (1968). The food and feeding habits of the tigerfish, Hydrocyon vittatus (Cast., 1861) in Lake Kariba. Beaufortia, 15 (201): 143-153.

Paugy, D., Guegan, J. (1989). Note a propos de trois especes d'Hydrocynus. Revue d'Hydrobiologie Tropicale, 22 (91): 63-69.
Original Post:
IMPRESSIVE JOB!!!

To sum it up, in terms of flow, a marine type current set up would work?

Last edited by a moderator:

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
congrats Chicx for the sticky and thank you for all the hard work... very well written and informative .... Every reader knows a lot more about ATF's now!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RampageRR

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
MD/VA/WV
www.youtube.com
Really well written, I love that most all the info that's out there is now in one place. Should make it much easier for any new ATF owners or prospective owners to gather info now. Great job!

Amazing how much variance in color there is in the tanzaniae species, a couple of those pics look just like a vittatus with the striping and then some look gunmetal gray with a red caudal fin. Very cool.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks guys. :)

Miguel, to put it in marine tank terminology, you're looking for laminar flow. I have laminar from right to left at the top and left to right at the bottom. It creates a big gyre that keeps anything from settling on the bottom and gives the fish a current to swim in. Makes it damn near impossible to have a nice looking substrate though. :nono: lol

Reactions: Matteus

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Really well written, I love that most all the info that's out there is now in one place. Should make it much easier for any new ATF owners or prospective owners to gather info now. Great job!

Amazing how much variance in color there is in the tanzaniae species, a couple of those pics look just like a vittatus with the striping and then some look gunmetal gray with a red caudal fin. Very cool.
That's because for all intents and purposes, tanzaniae IS a type of vittatus! They evolved directly from them and are extremely closely related. Can you see the diagnostic traits that separate them?

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
EXCELLENT!! Dang my favourite fish ID thread in MFK. You gotta make one for bichirs!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks for the info!
My pleasure!

EXCELLENT!! Dang my favourite fish ID thread in MFK. You gotta make one for bichirs!
Glad you enjoyed it!

I'll be happy to help with a bichir ID thread. I don't have near the level of expertise on those that I do with ATF, but if we get a collabo going, there's no reason we can't make a thread as good as this one for them, too. LMK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store