300 gallon setup/sump build

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Ugh waiting just sucks. Had the builder move the return bulkheads from the back corners of the tank to closer towards the middle. Not sure how im going to set the returns up so i just ordered 3/4 inch loc lines and a bunch of black pvc fittings from flexpvc.com

Also switching to a 2 inch gate/tee's. Leaves allot more rom to work with vs the 3inch gate/tee's

Everything has either been ordered or arrived just need to get the sand.

You guys think 300lbs is about right ?
300 pounds of sand ? Guess that's personal preference but I got about 120 pounds in mine and that is more than enough for complete coverage but some people like a deeper sand bed.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Definitely want a deeper sand bed. Nothing crazy but between 1 and 2 inches.

I have about 60 lbs on a 150 and its barely 1/2 inch

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Definitely want a deeper sand bed. Nothing crazy but between 1 and 2 inches.

I have about 60 lbs on a 150 and its barely 1/2 inch
I gotcha. Yea with my rays moving stuff around all the time I just keep a thin layer. I would think 300 lbs would be plenty for a nice deep 2" bed.

Reactions: jaws7777

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Ugh waiting just sucks. Had the builder move the return bulkheads from the back corners of the tank to closer towards the middle. Not sure how im going to set the returns up so i just ordered 3/4 inch loc lines and a bunch of black pvc fittings from flexpvc.com

Also switching to a 2 inch gate/tee's. Leaves allot more rom to work with vs the 3inch gate/tee's

Everything has either been ordered or arrived just need to get the sand.

You guys think 300lbs is about right ?
Looks like they have a decent selection. Do they ship fast? Im unnecessarily particular of the look of my plumbing...funtion first of course. So I go to this specialty plumbing store and was told Spears is not too far from me...what? Dont know if its manufacturing or distribution, but you oreder through a plumbing specialty then go pick up. I've not bought anything yet.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Looks like they have a decent selection. Do they ship fast? Im unnecessarily particular of the look of my plumbing...funtion first of course. So I go to this specialty plumbing store and was told Spears is not too far from me...what? Dont know if its manufacturing or distribution, but you oreder through a plumbing specialty then go pick up. I've not bought anything yet.
They have a rush delivery thats something like same or next day but i would say shipping is just about on par with all other suppliers.
In my area there is nothing...zilch plus he had black pvc which was a bonus. Guys name is eric very cool spent about 20 to 30 min on the phone with me running through all the fitting to make sure i ordered correctly.

How do you feel about moving the return bulkhead to the sides rather than the corners ?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Can you remind where the overflows will be? What's your reasoning for moving the return from back corners to side again?
Two overflows both 6 inches off the corner of the tank. I wasnt sure how i was going to set the returns up. Im either going to do loc lines out of the bulkhead or some tee's and loclines (like a spray bar) but moving the return towards the middle instead of back in the corner would allow me to avoid using 1 90° on each return depending on which set up i went with, and maybe play with the direction of the flow a bit more.

Was thinking with the return in the corner the overflow would block one of the loc lines or at the least restrict where i could direct the flow. Sorry for rambling

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
The overflow is around 5ish inches thick as per the builder

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
IMO, I do like your idea having them to the sides. Aside from the point about avoiding restriction from the overflow box being in the way, and, you could create circular water motion. One end pointing parrallel to the water surface and the other end going further down the tank pointing at a 45*. Of water flow, but also depends of you stock likes it.

One downside is the plumbing will be exposed on the ends rather than the covered back - or do I have the wrong picture in my mind? What does the builder recommend? BTW, you dont really need a 90* if on the back. The loclines could handle the turn. Unless you're talking about the 90 from the back to the bulkhead ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store