300 gallon setup/sump build

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
2017-01-22 04.05.39.png

This is whati mean. Hus return come upthrough the overflow out of the top of the tank then back in through a bulk head. That bulkhead was originally like the one on the picture (back corner) i had him move it to almost the middle of the side panel. Still coming in from the top of the tank but instead of the back corner would be closer to the middle of the sids He said it wouldnt be a problem.

Reactions: Black Manta

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
OK. As I mentioned then, functionally you should be fine Jaws. I'm struggling to understand why the builder would go through the overflow only to come out overn the tank and back through via bulkhead? Why not just run it close to the back so the pipes arent exposed? Keep in mind you can add as long of loclines that your pump can drive in many configurations.

It's your tank and i dont mean to question the design just trying to understand and maybe learn something in the process;-)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
OK. As I mentioned then, functionally you should be fine Jaws. I'm struggling to understand why the builder would go through the overflow only to come out overn the tank and back through via bulkhead? Why not just run it close to the back so the pipes arent exposed? Keep in mind you can add as long of loclines that your pump can drive in many configurations.

It's your tank and i dont mean to question the design just trying to understand and maybe learn something in the process;-)
Question away man you should know me better by now lol

As for the builder indont know. Other members have purchased from the same builder and to the best of my knowledge have the sam returns.

The comment about the loc lines is the primary reason why i wanted him to move it out of the corner. It should gove me more options/space tonwork with once i figure out how i want to set it up.
Just wasnt sure if moving it would somehow hinder how the water would flow into the overflow

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Then I dont see any issues. I was just watching out for you from an aesthetics point of view and im sure they would know more than me about building a tank lol. I know waiting is no fun too much time to think...

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Then I dont see any issues. I was just watching out for you from an aesthetics point of view and im sure they would know more than me about building a tank lol. I know waiting is no fun too much time to think...
Lol in tank aesthetics are more important with this tank than the out of tank.... i figure at the least it would look worse than having a spray bar lol

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
dont forget to add another either 1/2" or 3/4" bulkhead hole so I can put airline temp prob into the tank. Some builders void warranty if u drill holes urself. I added 2 extra holes on the top of the tank so my airline, temp probe, and light cord can be inside the tank.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
dont forget to add another either 1/2" or 3/4" bulkhead hole so I can put airline temp prob into the tank. Some builders void warranty if u drill holes urself. I added 2 extra holes on the top of the tank so my airline, temp probe, and light cord can be inside the tank.
I planned on keeping the prob in the sump.
Is there a benefit to keeping it in the tank ? I was thinking in the sump it would be easier to move back and forth between the sump and tank periodically just to male sure they match up

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
My probe sits inside the overflow box but goes in from the extra 3/4" bulkhead hole on top of the tank. I just have it there since that's the last location of the temp I want to monitor. Besides that airline and my lights are submersible so cord have to go into the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store