Advice on my new Cat

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could it be some protozoan infection or IP? This can be signs of excess slime or lack of eating.

Still adding salt to the tank? How much if u don't mind me asking.

Get a cheap acrylic sheet cut to size and place it next and leaning on the egg crate. It'll stop the ghost shrimp from going over the other side.

Reactions: koltsixx

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update: The Nodosus is still alive but still hasn't eaten. I did try the Ghost Shrimp even introduced them at two different times, just before lights out and early morning before lights on but haven't seen him eat. They are disappearing but since the tank is divided with eggcrate they could be getting over to the the Scherzeri side and getting eaten there.

The Nodosus still doesn't move much except when disturbed but is now grunting loudly when disturbed. The feeder fish one of the Scherzeri eats seem to spook him when they get over to the Nodosus side and he grunts and runs from them when they touch him. So he's got enough strength to make a short dash now. However he also developed excess slime just below his dorsal taking the shape of a band about 1/8 inch wide stretching from there to just before his tail on one side. Since the Nodosus doesn't move much and is easily viewed I look fairly often and see no injuries or other irritation that I can see as the cause of the excess slime. Even checked for Velvet with the lights off and using a flashlight. Still between the grunts and dashes I'm hoping that's some sign he maybe recovering.

Again Thanks guys for the posts and the helpful suggestions.
It sounds like there is life still in it. Not all is lost yet.

I ziptie window / lanai insect screen to my eggcrate to make a more thorough barrier.

Reactions: koltsixx and kno4te

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Keeping my fingers crossed for you man
Thanks Guys again I appreciate it.

Could it be some protozoan infection or IP? This can be signs of excess slime or lack of eating.

Still adding salt to the tank? How much if u don't mind me asking.

Get a cheap acrylic sheet cut to size and place it next and leaning on the egg crate. It'll stop the ghost shrimp from going over the other side.
Not sure, Wes suggested some Clout etc. just in case so I've been treating the Nodosus.

As far as the salt I add about 2 teaspoons per gallon.

I'll see about making the divider more secure to keep the Ghost Shrimp on one side I just have decide between yours and Viktors suggestion. Thanks again kno4te.

It sounds like there is life still in it. Not all is lost yet.

I ziptie window / lanai insect screen to my eggcrate to make a more thorough barrier.
Thanks Viktor, I haven't given up on him yet; still hasn't eaten though. I will definitely let you guys know if he does though. And Thanks Viktor for all the helpful suggestions.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Updates? Any changes koltsixx koltsixx ?

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Updates? Any changes koltsixx koltsixx ?
Yea kolt, any luck? I know you'll get to us when you can
Sorry about the late reply guys. Been all over the place dealing with legal stuff and money stuff. Trying to be completely debt free.

Update:
The Nodosus skin has cleared up but he still hides all the time and still hasn't eaten. He doesn't look like he's wasting away yet but then again since he hides so much I don't see him often. Also I don't know if this is a good or bad sign but he's less vocal, hearing him grunt used to be a several times a day thing now it's virtually nonexistent. And he isn't dashing around occasionally like he was before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store