Planted Nano

KabobSoldier

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Dallas,TX
I ripped out the Alternanthera from the back. Then I found this awesome piece of driftwood and dropped it in. I'm thinking about adding some moss to it to make it look like a tree/bush.

Wiggie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2017
Charlotte, NC
How's it going guys? After having to shut down my 210G bichir tank I decided to create a planted nano tank. This tank has been set up for about a week now. I'm a beginner in the planted tank world so I'm still learning new things. Hope you guys like it.

Substrate: 50/50 MTS and Safe T Sorb capped with Safe T Sorb
Lighting: 24W 6500k CFL
Hardscape: Dragon Stone
Plants: Hygrophila, S. repens, and Monte Carlo
Fish: Neon Tetras and Red Cherry Shrimp
Dosing: Flourish Excel 1.2mL daily
Ferts: Osmocote Plus and Potassium Chloride salt under substrate

So i picked up some of that Dragon Stone which I love. I didn't think it would buffer the water, and maybe it didn't but after a small water change and res-scraping last night, (which included taking out a dense piece of driftwood), my pH shot up to 8.4. Everyone is somehow fine but im just wondering if this could have had anything to do with the Dragon Stone? Do you know? I think its bc I took out that piece of driftwood but...just asking what you know about this rock. Thanks.

Reactions: KabobSoldier

KabobSoldier

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Dallas,TX
So i picked up some of that Dragon Stone which I love. I didn't think it would buffer the water, and maybe it didn't but after a small water change and res-scraping last night, (which included taking out a dense piece of driftwood), my pH shot up to 8.4. Everyone is somehow fine but im just wondering if this could have had anything to do with the Dragon Stone? Do you know? I think its bc I took out that piece of driftwood but...just asking what you know about this rock. Thanks.
From what I've read and seen, Dragon Stone shouldn't affect water parameters much. It might have been the driftwood in your case.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I know a lot of rocks available will alter water conditions, but cant remember which does what anymore, since i normally try and find rocks that wont alter water conditions much if at all...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
is nano harder to keep?
With planted tanks, size doesnt always dictate whether it will be easier or harder to "keep", coz each tank will require the person to work out the perfect balance of what works and what doesnt for the plants they want to grow...

Naturally though, the larger the tank, the more pruning that will need to be done, along with the need for more ferts / Co2 etc...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store