Planted Nano

KabobSoldier

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Dallas,TX
^ that would explain a lot then... at least you have the benefit of added knowledge before getting into the planted tank world...
True, it helped to understand many of the basic principles. I wanted to challenge myself with a planted tank because I always focused more on the fish in my tanks than the plants. This kind of opened up a new world for me.

Love how the Monte Carlo filled and I'm digging those dragon stones.
I'm glad it filled out the way it did. At first I wasn't running CO2 and it was growing okay. I began CO2 injection for 2 months and realized the regulator I bought was giving me a hard time so I returned the whole setup. I've been without CO2 and Excel now for a month and haven't had any melting or adverse effects.

Dragon stone always looks amazing ;)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Wow, that's beautiful!

I have to ask, does your betta have a name? He's absolutely stunning! :D

Reactions: KabobSoldier

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
How's it going guys? After having to shut down my 210G bichir tank I decided to create a planted nano tank. This tank has been set up for about a week now. I'm a beginner in the planted tank world so I'm still learning new things. Hope you guys like it.

Substrate: 50/50 MTS and Safe T Sorb capped with Safe T Sorb
Lighting: 24W 6500k CFL
Hardscape: Dragon Stone
Plants: Hygrophila, S. repens, and Monte Carlo
Fish: Neon Tetras and Red Cherry Shrimp
Dosing: Flourish Excel 1.2mL daily
Ferts: Osmocote Plus and Potassium Chloride salt under substrate

Does your neons and cherry shrimp get along without any casualties to the shrimp? I have crystal red shrimp with microrasboras and was thinking to switch the chilis out with cardinal tetras but wasn't sure if they were completely shrimp safe.

KabobSoldier

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Dallas,TX
Wow that looks great!
Thanks!

Wow, that's beautiful!

I have to ask, does your betta have a name? He's absolutely stunning! :D
I rarely name my fish but I have been trying to think of a good one for this guy. Thanks!

The tank looks great, the plants look to be doing really well. I was surprised to see how red the hygrophila turned.
Thanks! I apologize I should have left a more detailed update. I actually tore out all of the hygrophila and replaced it with Alternanthera reineckii cardinalis.

Does your neons and cherry shrimp get along without any casualties to the shrimp? I have crystal red shrimp with microrasboras and was thinking to switch the chilis out with cardinal tetras but wasn't sure if they were completely shrimp safe.
I ended up having neons, black neons, and glowlight tetras in the tank before I removed them all and replaced them with a single betta. I buy red cherry shrimps from a local breeder in batches of 10. I had bought 2 batches while having the tetras and when I removed the tetras I was only able to count 2 cherry shrimp left. The only other fish I had in there were stiphodon gobies and they don't mess with shrimp at all. So I would say that the tetras were the ones eating them.

Reactions: Skalper666

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I rarely name my fish but I have been trying to think of a good one for this guy. Thanks!
If he were my betta I'd name him Charlemagne. Or at least something that sparks thoughts of kings, emperors etc. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store