Looking for a beginner snake...

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So my wife has expressed and interest and I'm now doing research into getting a snake. It's been many years since I've had my only one, which was a thayers kingsnake. I'm looking for a good beginner snake that's pretty docile and would hopefully fit in a 40 breeder tank for life. Looking for any recommendations.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
Ball, Spotted and Children's Pythons, Corn, King and Milk Snakes, African House Snakes, Hognoses and Garter Snakes all come to mind as some to check out.

Reactions: Chub_by

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I personally was always intrigued by Hognose snakes or one of the higher ends ball python morphs albino and so on

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
I would recommend a corn snake. They'll easily fit in a 40 for life. They're as easy as they come to care for and are very docile. Plus they come in hundreds of color morphs. I have 5 of them and I wouldn't give them up for anything.

lovers2.jpg

buzz1.jpg

xanax1.jpg

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
corns and ball pythons are the best "beginner" but it depends on what you want.
for example if you want something that is active I would go with a colubrid. If you want it to just sit there a Ball is a better choice. If you don't like feeding rats and mice garter and ribbon snakes feed on inveterate and fish. I keep larger stuff now but I started with a corn and I loved that snake.

It all matters what you want to get out of owning a snake.

Reactions: Aw3s0m3

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Thanks for the responses! I know I've been gone and haven't had a chance to respond. Currently leaning/decided on ball python. Current questions up for debate...
1) Type of substrate? Heard a variety of opinions on this as far as helping to maintain humidity...
2) Heat pad or heat lamp? or both? Gotten mixed feed back on this with strong opinions on both sides...
3) Live, frozen or "dead" feeding? Just heard the "dead" argument for against live but frozen changes the smell... idk
Thanks, I look forward to more responses.

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
1 substrate i like zoo med forest floor to maintain humidity with a humid hide with moss

2 doesn't matter as long as the temp is in the high 80s on the hot side and no less then 75 on the cold side

3 if you can get them on frozen thaw it is cheaper and easier. if not frozen then fresh dead is the next best. then live which i don't recommend it can be bad for the animal and when the the snake gets older they tend to be less able to catch and kill rodents. also rodents can do a lot of damage to a snake.

The baby ball pythons can be finicky but if you get them from a good breeder they will have them on frozen thawed. my recommendation is look for a reptile expo in your area and have a conversation with some people.

all my snakes eat frozen thawed and have from day one I also feed them young chickens, quail, rats, mice, rabbits, sometimes eggs and sometimes fish.

Reactions: Chub_by

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
How does fresh dead even work? Like do you kill it yourself or can u get them from the store like that?

reptilerancher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
fresh dead is exactly what it sounds like you buy it live and then you kill it yourself. The process of fresh is meant to keep the smell and temperature of live without the danger of the rodent hurting the snake.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store