how thick does glass need to be to walk on?

branpatrobinson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
I work for a General Contractor and we put a back lit glass floor in a recent job we completed. Profile of the glass was 2 layers of 1/2 inch, 1 layer of 3/8 inch, and a 1/4 layer with a anti-slip surface. All layers laminated with a PVB interlayer for strength. Basic module was 5 ft by 5 ft nominally. There was also colored inter layers for aesthetic purposes. Total glass thickness was 1 3/4" nominal when all said and done. The pieces were approximately $200/sf when shipped from LA to DC. Note that this was in a public assembly building and it is engineered for heavy traffic. Not sure if you could get away with a single thick piece or not. Either way, I would think it would be cost prohibitive. PM me if you want to know who we bought it from.

I need a glass floor and was told at 4ft span 1" would be needed, but their price was $225 at that thickness, can you share where you got your 1_3/4" for 200? Hoping they have a good deal on 1"

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
I need a glass floor and was told at 4ft span 1" would be needed, but their price was $225 at that thickness, can you share where you got your 1_3/4" for 200? Hoping they have a good deal on 1"
Pulp Studios in LA. Remember, this was for a large commercial contract about 10 years ago.

Winfield92

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2017
Nomad
Unless the water level was literally as high as possible (tank always 100% full) you would probably be fighting condensation and reflection issues when viewing anyway.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store