Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

how thick does glass need to be to walk on?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects and Ideas' started by tscharf, Mar 29, 2010.

1. tscharf

tscharf MFK Members

Todd Scharf
      Jun 2, 2011
      Just like the title says how thick does glass need to be in order for someone to walk on it. When i build my 4,000 gallon tank i plan on having a platform above it that you can walk on and feed the fish from. any one have any clue on thickness? Im 200lbs myself so id like it to atleast support me, but if i could make it support, say 600lbs how thick would it have to be? it would be supported on all 4 sides, and if need be i could run supports down the center or every 4 or so feet. From a birds eye view the tank would be 12x8 and i would like the platform to be 12x4.

2. poly-nomial

poly-nomial MFK Members

Apr 23, 2017
      :grinno:

3. nfored

nfored MFK Members

Jun 20, 2016
      I would think Acrylic with a glass overlay would have been a better choice, the acrylic for strong bottom, the glass overlay to protect the acrylic from scratches.

4. tscharf

tscharf MFK Members

Todd Scharf
      Jun 2, 2011
      haha no? not gunna work? i thought as much i figured the glass would have to be 2 or more inches thick and at that thickness the price would be ridiculous

5. FSM

FSM MFK Members

John
      Feb 25, 2017
      You will need to do a thin path and brace it well, in order to be able to use a reasonably thin sheet. One continuous sheet, other than being ridiculously expensive, would need to be much thicker than you could otherwise use.

But, why not just create a plywood walkway across the top, and support it with 2x4s or whatever? Then use glass or acrylic for lids, not for standing.
      You would save a ton of money, and really the only benefit in having a glass walkway is you can see down through what you're standing on.

thanks for contributing

6. poly-nomial

poly-nomial MFK Members

Apr 23, 2017
      just putting :grinno: is as effective as blathering on for 3 paragraphs on how it would be expensive and difficult :grinno:

7. tscharf

tscharf MFK Members

Todd Scharf
      Jun 2, 2011
      haha yea i thought about doing the 2x4's but i just thought it might be cooler to do a glass walk way, where i could actually look down and see the fish where i was and that way i could see if any fish were there and sick or something. i think ill just go with the 2x4's though

8. jonclark96

jonclark96 MFK Members

Yesterday at 7:20 AM
      I work for a General Contractor and we put a back lit glass floor in a recent job we completed. Profile of the glass was 2 layers of 1/2 inch, 1 layer of 3/8 inch, and a 1/4 layer with a anti-slip surface. All layers laminated with a PVB interlayer for strength. Basic module was 5 ft by 5 ft nominally. There was also colored inter layers for aesthetic purposes. Total glass thickness was 1 3/4" nominal when all said and done. The pieces were approximately $200/sf when shipped from LA to DC. Note that this was in a public assembly building and it is engineered for heavy traffic. Not sure if you could get away with a single thick piece or not. Either way, I would think it would be cost prohibitive. PM me if you want to know who we bought it from.

9. tyndall72

tyndall72 MFK Members

Nov 26, 2011
      You could do it... the glass would be a pretty penny tho. You would need glass at least an inch thick with suports every 2 feet or so

10. fobrinkle

fobrinkle MFK Members

Feb 24, 2017
      Build a wooden or metal bridge that goes out over the tank for feeding. Much more cost effective.