Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Oh I am sorry. I really busted out laughing at the last post.
It is not a tapeworm. If it is, I've never seen one like it.
I know how you feel though. A couple years ago I felt like I was hit with one parasite after another with my pond fish. It was a nightmare that made me paranoid.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
MrsE88 MrsE88
You wanna laugh even more read this. All true no lies.
So this day ended on an extreme high note. My ribs are sore from laughing.

So i recruited the kids to help out. My sons job was to hold the light in place after i pulled the fish out. Daughter was just watching over my shoulder. Oh btw i had to use a barbie doll tweezer since the wife wasnt budging and the tongs didnt work.

Get the fish out and lay the net on a damp towel....things go south from here, of course my son isnt paying attention and is point the light at his sister im yelling at him to shine it over the poly. The endli jumps, daughter freaks and tries to run out of the room only to be met by the endli who is crawling towards her, she jumps over it and the fish changes direction !!!!! Hahaha now its chasing her out of the room she's hysterical crying yelling "daddy kill it kill it" my son is teasing her saying its gonna eat her toes lmaoooooooooooooo.

Endli seems ok but added salt and did a water change.

So the thing came off but i had to tug at it a bit. I was expecting it to just fall off. Anyway what do you guys think.... food right ?

View attachment 1248978 View attachment 1248979 View attachment 1248980 View attachment 1248981

Reactions: MrsE88

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Anchor worms, are not worms. They are crustaceans, and a chitin inhibitor is needed to rid the tank, although many are considered carcinogenic, so illegal.
You can use a potassium permanganate dip to force them to drop off., or even as a tank treatment but be careful not to overdose. People from koi club or pond keepers in your area might really be able to help

Reactions: kno4te

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Anchor worms, are not worms. They are crustaceans, and a chitin inhibitor is needed to rid the tank, although many are considered carcinogenic, so illegal.
You can use a potassium permanganate dip to force them to drop off., or even as a tank treatment but be careful not to overdose. People from koi club or pond keepers in your area might really be able to help
It was thankfully a false alarm. I ended up purchasing dimilin x (diflubenzuron) and will keep it on hand. Duanes any thoughts in this med. Atleast i could tuen this into a learning moment lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Never used these meds, but if there's a chitin inhibitor in the ingredients, it should work. These inhibitors prevent crustaceans from developing their exoskeletons (shells).
Thx man

Obscure

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Go to med would be tetra parasite gaurd but none is available locally. Would api general cure do the trick. From what i understand prazi is not effective with these worms.

Btw the fish was put in qt but planning on treating bith qt and the tank it was in. Is there a life cycle with the eggs i need to be concerned with or run the meds and be done with it ?View attachment 1248794 View attachment 1248795 View attachment 1248796 View attachment 1248797 View attachment 1248798

Rocksor Rocksor Charney Charney Aquanero Aquanero kno4te kno4te
Hi, sorry for the bumping this thread. But i was just wondering if that redness on your bichirs head is normal? Asking because mine have it now :/

20180408_003958.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store