Things you wish you knew when you started w/ Polypterus

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I wish I knew about MFK. Would have been more informed about raising the fish. I was feeding my bichirs just worms when I 1st started out. :p Didn't know about tilapia(bichir steroid food IMO) :D
Good thing I had you guys! still need to get some fish, just pellets and squid right now :)

my 100 gallon tank is no longer known as the bichir tank or the predator tank it will be called either the suicide squad or the lemming tank because so far I've had 2 ropefish and a mystery snail jump(the snail lived)

I wish I knew my 1.5" sengalus was gonna be able to eat 50 platys in 2 weeks(he was 3" after 2 weeks lol and in his own tank......where he got ate)
I am going to stick more weight on my lid!

I wish I knew how awesome they were so I could start sooner, and that I waited a bit before getting the first one from a store and got 2 WC, how ironic :p

Reactions: Poly Pinni and Hao

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Assume that they are suicidal. They will find any way to kill them selves. Poly proof the tank. They will get out of cracks in the aquarium top. And get into overflows.

I had one pop the top on my overflow box by pass the mesh and down into the filter sock where it died. I assume it is was beat to death by 1400 gph flow rates from a 4' drop.
The holes in my DIY overflow were just big enough for my 3" sen to fit in, and because of that he managed to find his way into my filter socks... Twice. He went through about 6 feet of pipe, and was getting hit with at least 700gph. Because of this I changed my overflows from holes to slits.

Somehow I still have him. Tough little thing.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The holes in my DIY overflow were just big enough for my 3" sen to fit in, and because of that he managed to find his way into my filter socks... Twice. He went through about 6 feet of pipe, and was getting hit with at least 700gph. Because of this I changed my overflows from holes to slits.

Somehow I still have him. Tough little thing.
You shoulda seen how my sen went carpet surfing when I was taking top shots. Theres a video on my thread, they're determined suckers!

Reactions: Angelphish

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
I wish i never Open this website when i started with my polys(joke)
MFK got me more addicted with polys even the are already addicting.

Reactions: Zilch

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I wish i never Open this website when i started with my polys(joke)
MFK got me more addicted with polys even the are already addicting.
I think part of the addiction is being able to brag to others about new polys.

Reactions: clm08k
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store