Horrifying algae... Help!

Chaseg03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
image.jpg
What to do? I did a 90 percent w/c today. It made it worse! Ive already tried a blackout so what to do? Clueless as to what to do. Thanks for any help.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Have you tried dosing with hydrogen peroxide?
Also, did you clean the glass when you did your water change? It looks like it's on the glass and likely decor? To me that seems pretty easy to clean up.

What are your water parameters?

Chaseg03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2016
Have you tried dosing with hydrogen peroxide?
Also, did you clean the glass when you did your water change? It looks like it's on the glass and likely decor? To me that seems pretty easy to clean up.

What are your water parameters?
No and yes. I'll test tomorrow.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Looks like too much light from the color of the algae. What filter are you running if any. Big WC sometimes causes the tank to go into a mini cycle.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Sorry. Don't know what that is.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

Algae on glass is totally normal but...
I find doing frequent regular water changes as a regular routine, often reduces algae, removing 30% of old water every 2 days usually works for me.
This can be specially effective if you you tend to over feed, as suggested above.
And overfeeding is the most common cause.
Most fish can live very healthy lives on about 1/4 of the amount of food most people regularly provide.
another "less" likely scenario below
Some water providers add phosphate to help keep lead from leaching into the drinking water, and phosphate "could" be a factor, as algae thrives on it.
Check with your local water provider to see if phosphate is part of the normal treatment process.
There are phosphate removing filtration aids available.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Remove the algae from glass, then use a uv filter.. Cheapest should be sunsun
Yep, while it doesn't completely get rid of all algae, it will kill what's free floating in the water. Then you will be able to see what your dealing with on your tank and decor surfaces.

Also, how long did you blackout the tank. You probably need to blackout the tank for a few weeks before you see differences. I would also pay attention to light from windows because that can be a light supply too. I keep the lights in my main 220 aquarium off at all times unless I'm feeding or showing it to people. I have no algae in it at all. I also have a 29 gallon grow out tank that I used to keep the lights on and it got brown algae everywhere within a few weeks. My last ten gallon tank had lots of brown algae as well until I got a clown pleco in it. He keeps it pretty clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store