New to MFK...opinions on 125g SA cichlid set-up

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I do not have any of them yet, I rushed the gourami tank I used to have and am trying not to do that again. I will be getting the Raphael catfish on Thursday and he will go in my 20L with the betta and crawfish (until the 125 gets ready).
I also meant to ask about the Heros earlier, I've never kept them before and wasnt sure about specific aggression and if the mix of 5 would be ok together.
I also don't want to be overcrowded...if I had to shorten the list, Notatus would be first, gold severum would be second.

5 Severum in a 125g would not be enough space you would most definitely have aggression issues also would put great impact on your bioload.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I do not have any of them yet, I rushed the gourami tank I used to have and am trying not to do that again. I will be getting the Raphael catfish on Thursday and he will go in my 20L with the betta and crawfish (until the 125 gets ready).
I also meant to ask about the Heros earlier, I've never kept them before and wasnt sure about specific aggression and if the mix of 5 would be ok together.
I also don't want to be overcrowded...if I had to shorten the list, Notatus would be first, gold severum would be second.

5 Severum in a 125g would not be enough space you would most definitely have aggression issues also would put great impact on your bioload.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Two opinions:

1). Instead of two groups of 6 tetras, consider 1 school of 12 - 15.
2). I think you have too many cichlids once they all mature. I'd consider dropping the EBJD to start, maybe others as well.

The other thing to consider is spawning. I have no idea if any of the various heros sp. can cross with one another... Do you want spawning? Are you able to buy multiples of each species and grow them to a sexable size and then keep all males?

It's worth thinking about these things....

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
Two opinions:

1). Instead of two groups of 6 tetras, consider 1 school of 12 - 15.
2). I think you have too many cichlids once they all mature. I'd consider dropping the EBJD to start, maybe others as well.

The other thing to consider is spawning. I have no idea if any of the various heros sp. can cross with one another... Do you want spawning? Are you able to buy multiples of each species and grow them to a sexable size and then keep all males?

It's worth thinking about these things....
Thanks for the info, I agree on the tetras, I couldnt decide between the two and was looking for feedback on the two smaller groups.
Why drop the EBJD because of size, aggression, or just being overcrowded? The EBJD was the first one on the list...
I have considered the spawning issue, my LFS would let me give fish back...they give me store credit, so I could just keep the males if needed. The only thing I would want spawning for would be fish food...but not sure how that would work out, all in one tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
ebjd's are cool fish but be aware that they generally have poor genetics due to inbreeding and the majority don't live very long. I don't think your original stocking plan is too bad to be honest, maybe lose the notatus. You could always just try it and keep a divider on hand, rehome fish if there is aggression. Sounds like you will have a sweet filtration system.

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
ebjd's are cool fish but be aware that they generally have poor genetics due to inbreeding and the majority don't live very long. I don't think your original stocking plan is too bad to be honest, maybe lose the notatus. You could always just try it and keep a divider on hand, rehome fish if there is aggression. Sounds like you will have a sweet filtration system.
Thanks for the reply, I hope the filter system work as well as I imagine it...i adjusted my stock list some based on everyone's advise:
1- Striped Raphael Catfish
6- corydoras
12- longfin blackskirt tetras
1- red spotted severum
1- turquoise (or red spotted turquoise)
1-Electric Blue Acara
1-Threadfin Acara
1-Gymnogeophagus Labiatus
...i spend a lot of time on Jeff Rapps' site lately!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with Jon, Gymnogeophagus are not tropical, and tend to be sickly if kept in warm, constant temp water.
The rest of your cichlid list are northern S Americans (equatorial species) that are fine in warm water. Gymnos come from thousands of mile south where S America gets cool.

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
I agree with Jon, Gymnogeophagus are not tropical, and tend to be sickly if kept in warm, constant temp water.
The rest of your cichlid list are northern S Americans (equatorial species) that are fine in warm water. Gymnos come from thousands of mile south where S America gets cool.
Thank you both...thats why I signed up here!

Reactions: cichlidman1972
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store