New to MFK...opinions on 125g SA cichlid set-up

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
Anybody have any experience or insight on a Krobia xinguensis "orange spot"?
Thoughts on adding one to the list instead of the Gymno'?

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Thanks for the info, I agree on the tetras, I couldnt decide between the two and was looking for feedback on the two smaller groups.
Why drop the EBJD because of size, aggression, or just being overcrowded? The EBJD was the first one on the list...
I have considered the spawning issue, my LFS would let me give fish back...they give me store credit, so I could just keep the males if needed. The only thing I would want spawning for would be fish food...but not sure how that would work out, all in one tank.
I only suggested dropping the EBJD because it stuck out as the only cichlid on your list that was not from SA...
I have never kept EBJD, but I have heard they are less robust, less aggressive, and generally stay a tad smaller than regular JD - which I have kept.

So attitude/size wise I would think it would work out just fine with your Heros. In fact, I had a single (male) JD in a 135g tank with 3 or 4 Rotkiel Severums and it worked out fine. I never saw the JD though (I find them very shy, reclusive fish - except when spawning, at which point they are natural born killers) so I eventually moved him to a different tank.

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
I only suggested dropping the EBJD because it stuck out as the only cichlid on your list that was not from SA...
I have never kept EBJD, but I have heard they are less robust, less aggressive, and generally stay a tad smaller than regular JD - which I have kept.

So attitude/size wise I would think it would work out just fine with your Heros. In fact, I had a single (male) JD in a 135g tank with 3 or 4 Rotkiel Severums and it worked out fine. I never saw the JD though (I find them very shy, reclusive fish - except when spawning, at which point they are natural born killers) so I eventually moved him to a different tank.
I decided to remove the EBJD from the list because several sources have said they have are likely to have health issues. Thanks again for the info.

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Setting up new tanks is fun - I'm excited for you. How are you going to be decorating the tank? Are you planning on using live plants? I ask because some severums have earned a reputation as plant eaters, but in my experience, which is pretty much limited to Rotkiels, they are fine with things like Amazon Swords, Anubias, Java Fern, Valisnaria, and Crypts.

That's something to consider before shelling out a bunch of money on plants or fish!

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
Setting up new tanks is fun - I'm excited for you. How are you going to be decorating the tank? Are you planning on using live plants? I ask because some severums have earned a reputation as plant eaters, but in my experience, which is pretty much limited to Rotkiels, they are fine with things like Amazon Swords, Anubias, Java Fern, Valisnaria, and Crypts.

That's something to consider before shelling out a bunch of money on plants or fish!
I am planning on using some Crepe Myrtle trimmings to simulate "verticle root growth", black sand bottom, some rock formations for hiding (either by stacking slate or just buying man-made decor), I could go either way on plants...If so, then something like Amazon Swords, Java Fern, and/or Crypts. I'm considering potting the plants seperately and being able to move them back and forth between the "sump" if needed.
I wish there was a DWARF black arrowana....I've been looking for options other than cichlids that might go well with the mix, but most of what I'm finding gets too small or too big (the wife said she doesnt want anything that looks like it needs a pond to be happy...i was thinking about a chocolate cichlid but she said it was too big).
....maybe i just need to get a job at a public aquarium........

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
As I continue my research on SA cichlid tanks...I have adjusted my stock list some more:
1- Super Red Spotted Gold Severum
3 or 4- Acara mix (electric blue, red port, etc..., only 1 of each species)
12- Longfin Black Skirt Tetras
1- Raphael Striped Catfish
a group of Geophagus INSTEAD of the corys....
will/should this work? is there an ideal number of geos to keep together (i have read 5-8)?
I am also considering expanding my borders up to include some CA species...mainly if the above stocking list has any obvious problems. I would like to keep it all from one main area, but more importantly I want to be happy with the fish and I want the fish to be happy with each other.

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Sounds like a nice tank. I would suggest cutting down the number of sevs to 2 or 3 and up the cories to around 10. What kind of decor are you planning? Would suggest a sand substrate with driftwood and large river rock decor. My sevs always did a number on my plants but I do have anubias tied to wood and rocks.

charlie10tango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2017
Sounds like a nice tank. I would suggest cutting down the number of sevs to 2 or 3 and up the cories to around 10. What kind of decor are you planning? Would suggest a sand substrate with driftwood and large river rock decor. My sevs always did a number on my plants but I do have anubias tied to wood and rocks.
Thanks for the reply.....I'm still trying to figure out exactly what to stock with, my main concern is fish aggresssion...and I keep getting different info on how many sevs are a comfortable number together. This is what I'm thinking about now:
1- Severum
3 or 4- Acara mix (electric blue, red port, etc..., only 1 of each species)
12- Longfin Black Skirt Tetras
1- Raphael Striped Catfish
a group of Geophagus INSTEAD OF the corys....
will/should this work? is there an ideal number of geos to keep together (i have read 5-8)?
I am also considering expanding my borders up to include some CA species...mainly if the above stocking list has any obvious problems. I would like to keep it all from one main area, but more importantly I want to be happy with the fish and I want the fish to be happy with each other.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Primary overflow with dump into a '6-gallon bucket K1/K1micro fluidized filter'.
Secondary overflow will dump into a '6-gallon bucket submerged lava-rock filter'.
Both buckets will then dump into a 55 gallon planted shrimp tank sump (first 36" of the 55 gallon will be the planted tank, that will go over a weir and through 'filter floss, filter songe, ceramic rings, and bioballs drip filter' and into the pump chamber)
Wow, that is an awesome setup. I am jealous. Please post pics/video when you have it set up.

Reactions: ..puSkar..
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store