Marble dying... any tips??

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Ammonia is a killer man. I learned my lesson the hard way. You must have large large large bio for rays.

Chestnut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2015
MA
Ammonia is a killer man. I learned my lesson the hard way. You must have large large large bio for rays.
In retrospect its likely he might have outgrown the bio capacity with increased feeding and size - so I've boosted both the flow rate and bio media - obviously too late.

Those with experience with NH3 spikes - what happens to the rays after exposure, symptoms wise. Is it internal damage? vIsible burns, breathing etc... right now I don't have much to work with, skinny, stationary, consistent breathing, no blemishes or visible symptoms on the skin or under the disc.

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Ammonia would not kill your ray over time and show hip bones. Ammonia would kill your ray quick. You can stick a knife in a healthy ray and it will survive... ammonia will kill it quick. Prazi it and get your system in check.

Chestnut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2015
MA
Thanks for the feedback,

Current state - the ray still hasn't eaten (offering live worms and shrimp) since Thursday am, very very skinny but he appears more responsive / with it. I dosed 750 mg of Prazi powder (all I had in house)on Sunday am and did a full prazipro dose (1tsp / 20 gallons) on Monday midday. Currently planning to redose the prazi pro after 5-7 days as per instructions on package.

Question: should I redose the prazipro sooner than 5-7 days and is the prazipro recommended dosage sufficient (1tsp / 20 gallons)? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Chestnut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2015
MA
Just an update, Prazi seemed to work (cannamonster was spot on )- ray is active again (finally) and started to feed on live shrimp - unfortunately rejects earthworms and frozen food. So I'm going to pick up some black worms and hopefully get some meat back on his bones asap. Anyone have any recommendations for getting extremely skinny rays back to health??

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Just an update, Prazi seemed to work (cannamonster was spot on )- ray is active again (finally) and started to feed on live shrimp - unfortunately rejects earthworms and frozen food. So I'm going to pick up some black worms and hopefully get some meat back on his bones asap. Anyone have any recommendations for getting extremely skinny rays back to health??
That's great news! Wait the 7 days then remove meds with charcoal wait 4 days and do a couple small wc's in those 4 days. Then redose full again for another 7 days

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
Awesome to hear! Thats my go to treatment for rays that stop eating and when poop does not look normal.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
This is interesting. I have used praziquantel for the sole purpose of appetite stimulation, in rays I knew didn't have parasites and it nearly always causes a distinct increase in appetite. An old breeder told me this long ago and it has worked repeatedly. Can anyone else confirm this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store