What puffer is this?

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
S Sean W. - how's the puffer?
Hes doing really well! The 75 hes going in is completely torn down, got the old planted scape removed from it. Its filled with water right now, just to keep the filter cycled, but its empty! I got the rocks from my local landscaping yard, I ordered driftwood from Dr. Fosters and Smith last night, Ill be running down to Home Depot to get play sand, Ive already sourced a bunch of Anubias... Most of what I need to get his tank setup is on its way!

The puffer is doing good, hes pretty hooked on frozen blood worms, doesnt like much else. I put a freeze dried krill in the tank, he takes a couple chunks out of it and spits them out and looses interest. At this point I'm still happy that hes just eating. Developing a relationship and a routine with him. Ive been mostly feeding him from a pair of tongs, so now he knows when he sees the tongs to expect food. We have been feeding him on the right side of the tank cause there's the least amount of flow there, so he knows to go to that side of the tank.

I actually had around 40 Crystal Red Shrimp in the 75 gallon, now that its torn down, I ended up putting them all in with him in the 20L, he has shown zero interest in them. Which is a relief because they are $10/ea, tho I know that I need to be willing to loose anything that is in the tank with him.

I sourced a 2 or 3 gallon tank that has a built in little filter that Ill be breeding bladder snails in, gotta get that setup and going with a nice colony of adult snails...

eh.. yea! Things are rolling!

Since I have a pretty strict policy of posting a picture with as many replies as possible, here is a pic of the 75 as it sits now

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Nice! Mine likes the krill. But bloodworms and snails are a great start. You might also try live blackworms - mine couldn't resist those!

Can't wait to see pics as you update the 75!

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Make sure to soak the wood for 3 or so days in a different container first! The worst of the tannins come out then

Good luck with the tank, I would love puffers but anything that won't eat pellets is a no go for me right now :(

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I never expected this... how? :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store