Would you give up a fish you may never be able to get again?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Everything in this world has it own right tag, if the price is right everything can happen in both good and bad ways, it works for any hobbies and our HUMAN daily life.
A lot of the time, sure. But some fish can be limited. Say the country of origin restricts collection, a species that isn't easily bred, a species that is on the verge of extinction, species that are't typically sold in the hobby etc...some fish just can't be found regardless of how much you want to spend.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It was commonplace in the local aquarium club I belonged to to share species, if a member would lose an individual of a mated pair.
At an gcca auction another member and I picked up bags of young pike cichlids. We each ended up with only one, he gave his male to me, because I ended up with a female.
In that way, somewhere down the line many pikes could be passed on to other members.
I've always thought that keeping a rare species alone, and having it (in the end) dead in my tank, without producing more, was simply a waste.
I kept many Madagascan cichlids (now banned from removal from Madagascar), with the intention of spawning them. I was lucky with some, not others.
When I lose 1 part of a pair, or another aquarist seemed more adept at spawning them, I'd give the species to the more adept aquarist.

Many times the juvies of spawns (like the Ptychochromis "tarantsy above) ended up in our clubs auctions where these "rare" species were then available at very reasonable prices, and the clubs BAP (breeders award program) encouraged other members to spawn them , and keep the species available for many years to come.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I can part with any fish I don't love. If I won't cry when it dies then I have no real attachment to it, rare or not makes no difference.
I'm not in fish keeping for bragging rights, or for saving rare fish. I don't have the set up or know how for it. I think it's amazing some are/do. Like duanes duanes just explained.

The fish I keep are for my own enjoyment only.

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
I had over the years 2 pair of breeding Alto comp Sumbus at the time I purchased the first pair they were almost impossible to find because the area where they were collected became protected and no fishing was allowed. As the years went by I was able to purchase more german bred sumbus and I got a pair from my own tank raised male and I german female.

They are amazing fish with interesting behavior, but they are very sensitive to water changes and I grew weary of the length of time it took to change their water as the years went by. I sold the first pair a while back and they guy that bought them sells their fry regularly on Aquabid. I sold the last pair a couple of weeks ago. All I've got left are a few fry to raise.

I just want to go with fish that are easier to maintain, but still interesting. Faster water changes have become more important to me than their rarity.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I can part with any fish I don't love. If I won't cry when it dies then I have no real attachment to it, rare or not makes no difference.
I'm not in fish keeping for bragging rights, or for saving rare fish. I don't have the set up or know how for it. I think it's amazing some are/do. Like duanes duanes just explained.

The fish I keep are for my own enjoyment only.
This has nothing to do with bragging rights. Has everything to do with enjoying fish personally. There have been times I have made changes on preference at the time. For example I had an Oscar which I loved, but my interests shifted to CA cichlids. I still love oscars and plan to own one one day. I know I can easily obtain one in the future so I'm not worried. I didn't have the extra tank space at the time, but I will one day when I move.
Not many people give a crap about astyanax tetras on here. I don't keep them because other people. My fear is that if I give them yup, I won't be able to get them. Not for anyone else but me.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
This has nothing to do with bragging rights. Has everything to do with enjoying fish personally. There have been times I have made changes on preference at the time. For example I had an Oscar which I loved, but my interests shifted to CA cichlids. I still love oscars and plan to own one one day. I know I can easily obtain one in the future so I'm not worried. I didn't have the extra tank space at the time, but I will one day when I move.
Not many people give a crap about astyanax tetras on here. I don't keep them because other people. My fear is that if I give them yup, I won't be able to get them. Not for anyone else but me.
I wasn't directing that at you, or anyone. Simply given as a reason someone might keep a rare species.
If I was in your shoes I likely wouldn't give them up.
As you said, it's a fish you enjoy and may not get the chance to again. Why let it go?
Unless you are ok with never keeping that type again, why gamble?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think I know why you feel like that Steve.
I've often dreamed of a large school of astyanax as part of a large c/a theme.
The problem is they don't come round often.If they do it costs a fortune to get a nice big shoal.They also grow just that little bit bigger than would be expected.
They are also fond of eating cichlid fry.
The next thing you start thinking about wildbearers as a good, easier choice.
If your not enjoying them anymore, I would find them a good home and enjoy something new.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
If I know that I won't have the space for it, then yes I would pass on it. I had a few chances on getting some of my favorite catfish but don't have a big enough tank to house it for life.

Reactions: J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store