Stingray addict w/o hope must build bigger

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
It's really hard to tell how thick the material is from the pics but I would estimate by the time I am done with everything it will be 1/8" thick. It's already getting close to 1/8th inch. Which is far more than most pond setups I've seen. So hopefully it will be here to last and be good forever.

1494646025208333917876.jpg 14946461136911576448600.jpg

Last edited:

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
oh forgot to add, smell level on a one to ten in the room, first say 4 hrs a ten+. after that it goes away rather fast. But still even upstairs with closed doors in the basement the poly resin is strong. Still rate it a 5-6. Open windows help a ton but it takes a while for the smell to go away. Send your wife on a trip if you plan on doing this unless your already well attached and she is good at putting up with you.

Reactions: cigars and dan518

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
oh forgot to add, smell level on a one to ten in the room, first say 4 hrs a ten+. after that it goes away rather fast. But still even upstairs with closed doors in the basement the poly resin is strong. Still rate it a 5-6. Open windows help a ton but it takes a while for the smell to go away. Send your wife on a trip if you plan on doing this unless your already well attached and she is good at putting up with you.

Wow it's looking amazing!!
So you did you poly resin as a base coat and will be adding colored epoxy resin or epoxy paint as a top coat?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Yep exactly. Poly resin with mat for many layers to first build up a good water proof and strong base and then do the epoxy resin top coatings to make it fish safe.

Wow it's looking amazing!!
So you did you poly resin as a base coat and will be adding colored epoxy resin or epoxy paint as a top coat?

theanimalman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2005
Farmington, Utah
Looking good Kevin. The progress seems to be moving along. Curious to see how you set up all the filtration and mechanical equipment for this system.

Chris had told me that the back of the tank had started leaking for him and that's why he ended up switching to a glass tank. I'd never seen the repairs made to the back of the 620gal. It looks like there are three small patches made over the areas that ripped? I'm guessing you haven't had any leaking issues with it since then?

Following.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Alright I know it's been a long while and I have not been showing any progress. Here are some of the recent shots. Again this last week and this week I'm busy again helping my sister roof her house but I sure hope to get more progress made on this setup as it needs to be done. I am working on the frame work for the 600 gallon to get it done and in place.
Water tank is going to be turned into a big media reactor for biological filtration add on. Overall this setup is going to be filtreed like crazy.
I also got a stsinless steel top cap made for over the window area. The thought is that with that area getting the most action with nets and stuff going in and out I Want to protect it well. So I got an 1/8 inch thick sorta top cap to go across there and also at the same time it will add structure and rigidity to the front window area making it much harder to bow as that's the weak area if any in the setup. I'll show that soon as I get it attached after my tank support setup I'd done. I also got a 3mm thick 10x4 plastic sheet to go below the frame to black humidity as the frame is coated with resin but I want to block humidity even more from building up on the underside. If it doesn't make a clear picture in your head don't worry I hope to show sooner than later. Just need to do probably 3 plus days of roofing still.

20170908_191734.jpg

20170908_191700.jpg

20170908_191101.jpg

View attachment 20170908_161809.jpg

IMG2055662737.jpg

56311.jpeg

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Alright I know it's been a long while and I have not been showing any progress. Here are some of the recent shots. Again this last week and this week I'm busy again helping my sister roof her house but I sure hope to get more progress made on this setup as it needs to be done. I am working on the frame work for the 600 gallon to get it done and in place.
Water tank is going to be turned into a big media reactor for biological filtration add on. Overall this setup is going to be filtreed like crazy.
I also got a stsinless steel top cap made for over the window area. The thought is that with that area getting the most action with nets and stuff going in and out I Want to protect it well. So I got an 1/8 inch thick sorta top cap to go across there and also at the same time it will add structure and rigidity to the front window area making it much harder to bow as that's the weak area if any in the setup. I'll show that soon as I get it attached after my tank support setup I'd done. I also got a 3mm thick 10x4 plastic sheet to go below the frame to black humidity as the frame is coated with resin but I want to block humidity even more from building up on the underside. If it doesn't make a clear picture in your head don't worry I hope to show sooner than later. Just need to do probably 3 plus days of roofing still.

View attachment 1275597

View attachment 1275598

View attachment 1275599

View attachment 1275600

View attachment 1275601

View attachment 1275602
Where did you find that storage tank!? I want one

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I found it online through local classifieds as they are rather expensive new. I've been looking for a while and understood gallons per dimensions, saw someone list a 50 Gallon tank for 50.00 on the local classifieds and thought as it was standing next to a jeep that it was far bigger and had to be about 120 gallons. So I went and as expected it was bigger and new never used. Was happy to give it a new purpose.

Where did you find that storage tank!? I want one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store