How many male poly do you have ?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
I believe I have 2 males right now. 1 delhezi and 1 ropefish.

Then the ones I think are females.
1 del
1 sen
1 ornate
1 ropefish

Also have a teug, endli and a hybrid that I am unsure of the sex on. None of mine have been confirmed but so far I'm guessing more females

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Subject came up on another thread not too long ago regarding low numbers of male polys.

Im pretty sure i have 3 males, koloton, one of the cb endli and 80% sure the ornate is male rest are all females ( 11 i think)

How many males vs females do you have ?
I was just talking to my wife yesterday about this very same topic. Do you have my car bugged? esp? Wait! are you my wife!?

What is the low number of males caused by? Do collectors have regulations for taking males? Do males have less of a survival rate than females? Would be interesting to learn more about this.

Right now I think I have 100% female (will have to get you guys to verify though). Last two are also pretty small. Kinda hoping one is male cause then I can post in Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 's magic mike thread. Heh.

Females:
Moke
Albino (?)
Delhezi
Also same questions.

I think all mine are female. I am unsure of the little guys but unless fin shape changes as they get older Id guess all are female. Anal fin is very pointed and thin. Are there show...ers and growers in the fish world.....hanging with a hottie poly and all of the sudden gotta huge cup fin down there?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
One day I want to buy a BIG bunch of WC UJ's (10+) to do a big tank and also see the male vs female ratio

Open to sponsors for scientific study :p

Reactions: clm08k

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I was just talking to my wife yesterday about this very same topic. Do you have my car bugged? esp? Wait! are you my wife!?

Also same questions.

I think all mine are female. I am unsure of the little guys but unless fin shape changes as they get older Id guess all are female. Anal fin is very pointed and thin. Are there show...ers and growers in the fish world.....hanging with a hottie poly and all of the sudden gotta huge cup fin down there?
All speculation but could it be something like cichlids where subdominant males take on minor female characteristics? Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 could definitly explain the male vs female cichlids and what characteristics subdominant males display. Could shed light on our topic.

I was also thinking maybe its a mating thing. Where adult males in the wild kill off younger juvie males in an attempt to keep their harem intact but that theory doesnt bode well for cb dominated collections.

Reactions: clm08k

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
And the fact that polys don't seem to be harem based

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
And the fact that polys don't seem to be harem based
I wanna say there is a strong possibility that they can be harem based look at CizziB CizziB ornates.

CizziB CizziB can you shed some insight on your ornate breeding project and possibly the number of males to females in your set up

Reactions: clm08k and magpie

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Compared to cichlids they seem to show less social interaction? CizziB CizziB could help us here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store