South Africa
tlindsey tlindsey

Reactions: tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Compared to cichlids they seem to show less social interaction? CizziB CizziB could help us here
Less ?
Id say the same if not more. Cichlids "perform" in both single male/female pairs and in harems. Imo polys interact with each other just as much if not more than cichlids....poly piles lol ive had cichlid comms where the only interaction is aggression sometimes they would be perfectly content with staying on opposite sides of the tank, for the most part cichlids dont like to share their territories while poly often dont mind it, yes there definitly are some that get very territorial but those arent too common

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
tlindsey tlindsey

I know with Senegal it doesn't matter the ratio. Once had 2 males and 2 females and noticed the dominant male would chase or nip other male so he was the only one to spawn with gravid female.I also had 2 males involved with spawning of the same female.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Right now I think I have 100% female (will have to get you guys to verify though). Last two are also pretty small. Kinda hoping one is male cause then I can post in Vancouver_98683 Vancouver_98683 's magic mike thread. Heh.

Females:
Moke
Albino (?)
Delhezi
Right now your Sen and Del are soooo little! You just may have a magic mike poly yet... ;)

One day I want to buy a BIG bunch of WC UJ's (10+) to do a big tank and also see the male vs female ratio

Open to sponsors for scientific study :p
Cohazard Cohazard is already doing this experiment with Dels and Mokes. What are your numbers/ratios, Cohazard?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
All speculation but could it be something like cichlids where subdominant males take on minor female characteristics? Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 could definitly explain the male vs female cichlids and what characteristics subdominant males display. Could shed light on our topic.

I was also thinking maybe its a mating thing. Where adult males in the wild kill off younger juvie males in an attempt to keep their harem intact but that theory doesnt bode well for cb dominated collections.
First off I know very little about polypterus so I don't know if the same rules apply.
Livebearers show a high density of females or males depending on a number of factors.ph, and first foods I am told can have an influence on sex ratios.
I was breeding some wild otapa swordtails recently and 80% were female in every batch.
I contacted a breeder friend of mine and ask his opinion why.
He told me to feed meaty first foods instead of the crushed flakes and pellets I had been feeding.I followed his advice.
The next batch of fry I had after changing the diet turned out pretty even.If there is something in it, or just coincidence I can't say,but it worked.
Something else that often occurs in some fish where they may feel out matched by existing males, is they will stay disguised as females and not show any male characteristics until they feel they can compete.I have witnessed late developing males stay in the guise of a female several times to the point I was sure it was female,only to suddenly change and grow male characteristics when they felt the time was right.
Cichlids will also remain subdominant and not develop nuchal humps or trailers or whatever other feature defines them.Only the dominant males sometimes show themselves.
Regards polypterus, I don't know,I have often heard about ph affecting sex ratios.Maybe this is the case for CB fish? I can't say.Maybe certain foods could be lacking in the very early stages of life. Again I don't know for sure. Maybe it's just coincidence, or maybe you often choose the biggest most striking specimen in the shop and they are normally males.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Cohazard Cohazard is already doing this experiment with Dels and Mokes. What are your numbers/ratios, Cohazard?
I'm not 100% sure, but I feel like my group is heavy on the male side.

DRteugelsi

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2016
Ohio
Depending on how they develop i think mine are all female. The teug i would say im 100% sure she is female and the endli and pbb seem to be female as well...

I want a couple of males...

Reactions: clm08k and jaws7777
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store