Pacu in outdoor pond

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
The Amazon is nearly a constant 86, so I'm not sure what happens to them if it's a lot cooler. You should price out a heater for the 1,000 gallons, and try to make sure the water doesn't fall too far below 75.

In southern California it gets down into the 40's and it can go weeks with a high temp below 65, so that pond would need to be heated.

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=418

Pacu sightings....

If you remove the summer sightings (probably after they were recently released), they aren't anywhere outside of Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerChick5567

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Pacu sightings....

If you remove the summer sightings (probably after they were recently released), they aren't anywhere outside of Florida.
had one in the Hudson river this spring. Made a lot of people want to pass laws against fishkee ping in NY. My SDs survived almost freezing temperatures for over two weeks during sandy. Lost my black skirts, so I won't say all amazon tetras can take it but some can. SDs are very similar to pacu I think they are both piranhas or something like that.

Reactions: AquaAlex1993

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
throw is a S.A. rtc in there too, and and a gar to eat the ducks when they swimm in your pond, although the rtc might just do that too.
you think the pacu can't take care of the occasional d duck?

A

AquaAlex1993

had one in the Hudson river this spring. Made a lot of people want to pass laws against fishkee ping in NY. My SDs survived almost freezing temperatures for over two weeks during sandy. Lost my black skirts, so I won't say all amazon tetras can take it but some can. SDs are very similar to pacu I think they are both piranhas or something like that.
Both Piranha and silver dollars are in the same family as piranhas and that is serrasalmidae. I always wondered if a pacu could live well in a pond. I was seriously thinking about doing a pacu pond inside using a plastic pool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store