Pacu in outdoor pond

orgetorix

Feeder Fish
Sep 27, 2005
SoCal
I am interested in building an outdoor pond of about 1000 gallons. I would like to house a couple black pacu and maybe some smaller fish. I really likeponds but am not too sure I want koi etc. I live in southern california so the weather is never really cold, but can they survive water temps that occassionally get to the upper 60s?

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
orgetorix said:
I am interested in building an outdoor pond of about 1000 gallons. I would like to house a couple black pacu and maybe some smaller fish. I really likeponds but am not too sure I want koi etc. I live in southern california so the weather is never really cold, but can they survive water temps that occassionally get to the upper 60s?
I think Pacu can take that Temp, although I dont think youd want fish that are smaller in with them. As Pacu grow fast an rather large an will eat anything that will fit in there mouths. Also the pacu's may terrorize Koi if you get them. Id go either or an not mix them.

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
sounds like a hell of a plan to me. I would like to point out that Pacu's migrate in the wild thousands of miles and can live through the WORST conditions. As juviniles they mimic the piranha while takeing on a totally different form as adults. They are also food in Sud America and if you don't like them you could always fry them up.

Reactions: J. H.

nativelover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
socal
WWW.MYSPACE.COM
throw is a S.A. rtc in there too, and and a gar to eat the ducks when they swimm in your pond, although the rtc might just do that too.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
A friend of mine caught a HUGE pacu in a pond in southern indiana......gets below freezing there. Im guessing that it actually survived for a while based on its size. Either that or someone had a HELL of a tank.

LBC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2005
I wish I lived in SoCal, I would have many huge ponds...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store