Emergency Help Needed

pittbulldogva

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
Richmond, Va
It's day 10. None of the fish stores around me carry any meds worth using. I was looking for Kanaplex, but never found it. I did find MB though. I treated with MB/Salt baths daily, iodine directly in the wound after the bath, and used Melafix in the tank. Here is a day 1 pic and a day 10 pic. His overall color has come back. He was very dark. I don't see much difference in the wound. He's active and eating. Should I continue or go another route?
Day 1.jpgDay 10.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would keep up the treatment for a few more days, then back off some and keep the water pristine. melafix a ok preventive but once there is an infection not worth allot.

Reactions: kno4te

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I would order the Seachem Kanaplex and Erythromycin (backup). Any chance you can keep the MB and salt in the tank until the medication arrives? Or would you not rather have MB stain the tank? If you don't want to stain the tank, use Seachem Paraguard, which has to be dosed daily in the tank.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; I still have a suspicion of some sort of parasite. That wound seems too regular and has remained open for several days. That was my first impression when I looked at the pictures. Not sure why and can not cite any experience with such.
Even if my suspicions prove correct, I am not sure how to proceed. If there is a parasite in the opening and you manage to kill it without getting it out, then that will also be a problem.

If the worst happens and you are up to it, can you do an autopsy of sorts. Lets hope I am wrong. However if there is one such parasite (or other agent that causes such wounds) then there may be more.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
do you have the ability to order medication for delivery? that will be your best option.
are you diluting the iodine before applying? If not you are probably causing more damage

Reactions: kno4te

pittbulldogva

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
Richmond, Va
I ordered Kanaplex and have dosed him twice over 4 days. I noticed on day 4 that there appeared to be blood around the wound. I gave him another MB bath, and took a pic right after he came out. The wound was bleeding pretty good. It also looks like there is tissue growing back into the wound. I'm not sure what's happening.

K0.jpg

K1.jpg

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Poor guy. I'm sorry you've been having to battle such a horrible wound:(
You have been doing a lot for him and for some reason there is no visable improvement, and now bleeding.... I think you may need to be prepared for the worst.
Were you ever able to find a way to get injectable antibiotics?

pittbulldogva

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2013
Richmond, Va
There are several injectable antibiotics available. Not sure which one to get. That will probably have to be my next step. There's one vet in the area that deals with fish. They come to you and start at $300 for a visit. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money at the moment. The Kanaplex says it can be fed. I may try that next. He's still active and eating well.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
There are several injectable antibiotics available. Not sure which one to get. That will probably have to be my next step. There's one vet in the area that deals with fish. They come to you and start at $300 for a visit. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money at the moment. The Kanaplex says it can be fed. I may try that next. He's still active and eating well.
I know its a long shot but... just try going to the vet with the pictures... maybe.. just maybe.. you can get him to sell you an antibiotic injection without going out to you... you never know and have nothing to lose.
Good luck.. hope it heals soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store