Channa micropeltes growth

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yeah, in that amazing cubic tank, with light lighting.
From what I recall, two disappeared overnight ever since he posted that, but it might be another person.
Can't remember really. Was years before I kept fish

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Is it eating? If I recall correctly it was pouting and not being active in your tank. The pangasius and RTC may be out eating it. Btw channa are illegal here now

I've seen a video of a guy keeping about 6 3ft micros together
Is it eating? If I recall correctly it was pouting and not being active in your tank. The pangasius and RTC may be out eating it. Btw channa are illegal here now

I've seen a video of a guy keeping about 6 3ft micros together
Yea he eats bro just not very active...I know they are illegal

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The two I'm planning to get are from a petshop where these two are like dogs petting each other. Most likely will stick with them
That's good to hear :)

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Yea he eats bro just not very active...I know they are illegal
Then why do you keep them? These are one of the worlds most invasive creatures

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
If they are already 24" the tank is already too small as soon as they settle in they'll turn on each other . You could house 1 solo for another year or 2 depending on the tank dimensions and it's growth rate but that's about it . Or a group of juvues for roughly 1 year .the species hits 20-24" very easily within the first year of cared for properly.

The previous advise is very accurate they do well together and with equal sized tankmates until roughly 17-20" mark then They snap and will kill everything . Even a bonded pair at 24"+. Needs a pond , pairs still fight quite violently during attempted mating , males often get frisky and if the female isn't in the mood you there will be a death match in that sized tank.

Also just FYI to everyone never base your choices on videos found online you can put absolutely any combination of fish together short term , stress of a new home keeeps themin check short term & nobody brags about the bloodbaths when they happen .

Reactions: Naos1984

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Missed the reply about their behaviour in the shop but just fair warning that will not last . Channa only become very docile if highly stressed. The second they are given proper care and settle into normal behaviour the monster really comes out .

Ive been keeping various channa for over a decade now ,their behaviour is very predictable !! by far some of the most aggressive and territorial fish you'll ever see backed by a heck of a lot of strength and nice set of teeth !

Reactions: Gazham and Naos1984

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Then why do you keep them? These are one of the worlds most invasive creatures
I have to agree there.
If you listen to us and get rid of two of them, what will you do with the other two?
if you're going to release them, and by sheer lack of luck they decide to breed in the wild, you're dooming your entire area's underwater ecosystem.

I can see less than 10 freshwater fishes in the world that a couple micros that size couldn't beat into a pulp (quite literally).

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have to agree there.
If you listen to us and get rid of two of them, what will you do with the other two?
if you're going to release them, and by sheer lack of luck they decide to breed in the wild, you're dooming your entire area's underwater ecosystem.

I can see less than 10 freshwater fishes in the world that a couple micros that size couldn't beat into a pulp (quite literally).
They will have good footing here in South Africa qnd aee prohibited under the invasives act here.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
o_O

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store