Stingray addict w/o hope must build bigger

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
As always it's all about commitment to searching for the deal. They happen yoi just need to wait for it or pay the premium if you want it now. The reactor will go after my fine particle bead filter probably flowing back to pond and also to a 40 breeder or other grow out / pup tank. As always I'm thinking of all these places I need flow -pond / 600 gallon tank / reactor / pup system which is a 210 and 2-3 75s and a couple 40 breeders. Need more and more pumps but the power cost is crazy expensive.

How do you plan on hooking this into the system? On a closed loop? All I can find around here is 50-75 gallon storage containers

Reactions: millerkid519

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Thanks I guess, not really an amazing setup but when you need a lot of space you gotta do something. I am overall very happy with it knock on wood, its been great for me and the rays. Time to move on to the next better options though.

Nice pool :)

yingling26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
United States
So is this finished with rays in it now?? Also what did you use for the floor, I saw you did fiberglass all the way around it (3 coats you said>?) what did you apply on top of that for the blue?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Nope this is not complete yet. Still working out all the filtration and where and how to place everything in the pup/ grow out room and plumbing complete setup. Allowing all the Epoxy (the color blue and white you see) to fully set as in some places it's very thick and needed a good while to set fully. I know they say a few days but I am giving it longer to make sure. I will be doing the viewing window soon as well. Hard to tell from the pics but the glass is not in right now so it won't hold water very well. It's Max ACR epoxy which is fish safe.

So is this finished with rays in it now?? Also what did you use for the floor, I saw you did fiberglass all the way around it (3 coats you said>?) what did you apply on top of that for the blue?

yingling26

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
United States
Nope this is not complete yet. Still working out all the filtration and where and how to place everything in the pup/ grow out room and plumbing complete setup. Allowing all the Epoxy (the color blue and white you see) to fully set as in some places it's very thick and needed a good while to set fully. I know they say a few days but I am giving it longer to make sure. I will be doing the viewing window soon as well. Hard to tell from the pics but the glass is not in right now so it won't hold water very well. It's Max ACR epoxy which is fish safe.
Awesome!! I will look into Max ACR and def do the fiberglass like you did.

Also do you have any plan for a lid?:?

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
What a phenomenal job! Awesome work on the epoxy, it looks so damn good! I might have missed it but did you use the Max ACR for the fiber-glassing as well or a cheaper resin for glassing then ACR for the final coats with pigment?

You remember how many gallons of ACR you ended up ordering? I saw you were thinking in the 15-17gal range for resin but I wasn't sure if you were using ACR for everything. How many millimeters thick estimated did you shoot for on the epoxy when cured? Really, really great work across the board. What a motivating thread.

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
I wouldn't recommend using something cheaper then topping it with Max ACR. Max ACR is relatively inexpensive in the overall scheme of things and seems to go a long ways.

I was talking with someone I know who had a 12'x4'x4' tank built for him. He used fiberglass resin underneath and finished it with epoxy. There were issues with how the epoxy set and apparently there was enough blistering that the water got to the fiberglass resin (or whatever was used) and all his fish died repeatedly.

He's debating grinding it down and trying to epoxy it again, but meanwhile it sits

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I do have some plans of lids. Mostly just to not have to much heat loss. And also humidity as well.

Awesome!! I will look into Max ACR and def do the fiberglass like you did.

Also do you have any plan for a lid?:?

Reactions: yingling26
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store