GSP help they are dying don't know why

Peacock78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hello; Over the years I have avoided metal whenever possible for my tanks. Back a few decades ago stainless steel was common for some aquarium equipment. I think there are reasons I do no use metal pots even stainless if decent plastic buckets are available.
I seem to recall this is a brackish setup. If my memory is correct then the salts are a bit more likely to react with metal than fresh water.

Correct me if I am taking your comments wrong. Are you saying you use the same metal pots for the tanks and other things such as cooking and cleaning?

I have been careful about chemicals around my tanks. Not sure what such non-toxic cleaners you speak of but even with such things I have a set of buckets and tools such as sponges only used around my tanks. I have another set of buckets and tools used around the house and never around or for my tanks.

What about someone putting something in a tank?
No the pot is only for water changes and any chemical that would have accidentally been used to clean it or potentially have found its way into the tank would have been non toxic as for something getting into the tank it would be very unlikely and would have been noticed today when I did a full strip down to see what went wrong

Peacock78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hello; Over the years I have avoided metal whenever possible for my tanks. Back a few decades ago stainless steel was common for some aquarium equipment. I think there are reasons I do no use metal pots even stainless if decent plastic buckets are available.
I seem to recall this is a brackish setup. If my memory is correct then the salts are a bit more likely to react with metal than fresh water.

Correct me if I am taking your comments wrong. Are you saying you use the same metal pots for the tanks and other things such as cooking and cleaning?

I have been careful about chemicals around my tanks. Not sure what such non-toxic cleaners you speak of but even with such things I have a set of buckets and tools such as sponges only used around my tanks. I have another set of buckets and tools used around the house and never around or for my tanks.

What about someone putting something in a tank?
No the pot is only for water changes and any chemical that would have accidentally been used to clean it or potentially have found its way into the tank would have been non toxic as for something getting into the tank it would be very unlikely and would have been noticed today when I did a full strip down to see what went wrong

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I always find readings of 0 to nitrite/nitrate to be odd. Those are usually sign of uncycled tank in my experience. Having very very low readings is more usual than having inexistant traces of nitrates.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
the pot is only for water changes and any chemical that would have accidentally been used to clean it or potentially have found its way into the tank would have been non toxic
Hello; I am curious about the non-toxic cleaners. Can you post more information about them? Brand name if they are sold commercially or is this some type of cleaner you make?
I like the idea of some non toxic cleaners if I can get them.

Peacock78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hello; I am curious about the non-toxic cleaners. Can you post more information about them? Brand name if they are sold commercially or is this some type of cleaner you make?
I like the idea of some non toxic cleaners if I can get them.
It's baking soda lemon juice and water pretty simple but works

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store