Tigrinus care

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Hey guys will be picking up a tigrinus soon 8inch+
Wondering are they really hard to keep as people claim?
So far I know they require a large current, good water quality, a large tank and a variety of food like pellets,tilapia, shrimp etc..
Also I heard its better to feed every other day and not overfeed..
Anything else would be greatly appreciated!
The tank will be a 125 gallon, will move to my pond once bigger

Reactions: Killduv

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think what you've mentioned is correct. A little sensitive when small but clean water, lots of current and high dissolved oxygen, and varied diet should do it. Also no overly aggressive tankamtes for an 8inch fish.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I think what you've mentioned is correct. A little sensitive when small but clean water, lots of current and high dissolved oxygen, and varied diet should do it. Also no overly aggressive tankamtes for an 8inch fish.
+1

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Thanks !!!! tankmates will be 2 albino tinfoil barbs so doubt that they will be a problem

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yeah thats a problem too..maybe ill have him alone..thing is are they really sensitive? Like peacock bass?
I don't think theyre that sensitive. Justbyake proper care of them. Feed good foods once a day, wc once a week, good filtration. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Reactions: dudefish82

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
I don't think theyre that sensitive. Justbyake proper care of them. Feed good foods once a day, wc once a week, good filtration. Nothing out of the ordinary.
thanks, hopefully it goes that way... I havent kept much cats since i moved on to arowana, Ill be selling my red aro soon so i can get a tig soon:)

Reactions: moe214

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Do not feed them too heavily when young, always let the bump go down before offering more food and feed sparingly. They seem sensitive to Thiamin defficiency so try not to feed too many crustaceans like prawns, mussel etc.. and when you feed these try and add some aquarium vitamin supplement to the food. Try also to feed whole animals such as whole fish and maybe some earthworms from a source that does not have pesticides such as bait shops.

Keep an eye on the Nitrates, make sure there is a lot of surface movement to keep oxygen levels high and keep on top of the water changes for ZERO ammonia and nitrite / PH swings.

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
Do not feed them too heavily when young, always let the bump go down before offering more food and feed sparingly. They seem sensitive to Thiamin defficiency so try not to feed too many crustaceans like prawns, mussel etc.. and when you feed these try and add some aquarium vitamin supplement to the food. Try also to feed whole animals such as whole fish and maybe some earthworms from a source that does not have pesticides such as bait shops.

Keep an eye on the Nitrates, make sure there is a lot of surface movement to keep oxygen levels high and keep on top of the water changes for ZERO ammonia and nitrite / PH swings.
Thanks ...Heard they are prone to sudden death syndrome or is it just because of overfeeding?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store