Weird Darkness affects Flowerhorns?

Flower Power

Feeder Fish
Sep 13, 2017
I put my FH’s light on the dim/blue setting at night. Does anyone have opinions on pitch dark vs. blue night light? ...or does it matter either way?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
F Flower Power In my opinion it's best to turn off your lights at night. The blue light makes for a nice transition to lights off or on but I wouldn't leave them on all night.

The amount of light that penetrates water in nature is significantly less then we expose our fish to in our aquariums and that is especially true at night. As such it's logical to assume that the light causes some stress to the fish and night time should be a time of rest. So I personally err on turning the lights off.

Another point is that light promotes plant growth, even blue lights. That being said certain plants are capable of utilizing blue light better then others as is the case in many things when it comes to plants and their growth. In my experience blue light seems to increase brown hair algae growth. This is just an observation of mine and not to be taken as fact. It's just what I have observed and what I believe contributed to outbreaks of hair algae. And hair algae is in my opinion the ugliest plant growth and you wouldn't want it in your tank.

Optimally to keep stress to a minimum I'd turn the lights on the tank off or to a lower setting(such as blue lights) first then the lights in the room optimally I'd us a dimmer in the room with tank to make the transition even easier on the fish if possible.

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store