Tigrinus care

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I think they die suddenly as people neglect the basics, I wouldn't keep one in water above 100ppm nitrate for instance but others would tell you that is not an issue but wonder why they die.

Also, overfeeding the wrong thing seems to kill them.

Reactions: dudefish82

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would keep some good current with 10x turnover and good diet. Avoid shrimp only diets. Keep ur nitrate less than 20ppm. Safe tankmates and it should work out.

Reactions: dudefish82

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd suggest reading this thread, the threads linked in there, and other similar threads: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/help-with-tig-catfish.598702/

They appear to suddenly die for some keepers feeding them crustaceans.

IME, they are not sensitive. Neither are pbass. So the fact that you consider pbass sensitive baffles me a bit.

They are not the hardiest, like RTC, walking catfish, goldfish, or giant gourami, or carp, etc., but they are reasonably hardy.

dudefish82

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
?
I'd suggest reading this thread, the threads linked in there, and other similar threads: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/help-with-tig-catfish.598702/

They appear to suddenly die for some keepers feeding them crustaceans.

IME, they are not sensitive. Neither are pbass. So the fact that you consider pbass sensitive baffles me a bit.

They are not the hardiest, like RTC, walking catfish, goldfish, or giant gourami, or carp, etc., but they are reasonably hardy.
I cant keep pbass under 3 inches alive for some reason..
I have a few in my pond which are doing fine but I feel they are sensitive especially when young..not as hardy as oscars etc..
As for the tig if I avoid crustaceans it will be fine I assume?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I have a few in my pond which are doing fine but I feel they are sensitive especially when young..not as hardy as oscars etc..
You should.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
There is a handful of species I can't keep either because they keep dying on me for unknown reasons, but I'd not state they are sensitive :) Something in my water, a pathogen, I assume they have no immunity against, is killing them.

I am not about to begin testing the crustacean / thiaminase hypothesis with my tigs. There is no need whatsoever IMHO. Plenty of other foods to offer to them.

In our hobby, I'd never dare to say any fish will be fine, least so based only on one condition. :)

David costa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
Pretty fish...delicate but very hardy fish as well...i keep a rtc...make sure you see him eat...after 6" feed him once a week only...they will be ok...other wise you will need to triple your space in 6 months.
Good luck

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Pretty fish...delicate but very hardy fish as well...i keep a rtc...make sure you see him eat...after 6" feed him once a week only...they will be ok...other wise you will need to triple your space in 6 months.
Good luck
At 6" you should be feeding every day small amounts. Purposely stunting a fish is kind of cruel

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
For some reason, I think David is talking about a TSN and not a tig. I may be wrong.

But I agree with feeding once a week at 6" or a bit over. That's more suitable for catfish over 1.5'-2'.

Reactions: David costa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store