Bare bottom or substrate ?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Substrate +1. Maintenance aside, generally speaking tanks with substrate look more appealing IMO.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Depends on what you keep. Substrate can be a hassle but is more natural. Tiled or barebottom are less maintenance and can still look good.

some fish like geophagus and cories like to have sand to nose through or dig in so that is also a factor

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I prefer the look of rays on sand. Combined with the natural defense it provides them it makes me feel like they are more comfortable at least.

Reactions: MariaS

Ryanpyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2017
Hello! Bringing up this old thread because I'm getting a 5ft tank soon and I can't decide if I should go bare bottom or go with substrate.
I've never went bare bottom before because I don't like the looks of it, but it's definitely easier to maintain since nothing much gets trapped at the bottom.
However I've also used black gravel in a 4ft tank previously and it was a hassle when I wanted to remove it.

My only concern now is, from the point of view of filtration and water quality, is it better to have substrate or bare bottom?
Substrate serves as a filter media itself since bacteria will grow on it like it grows on your ceramic rings, etc. But at the same time it traps dirt. (Taking into account that there's a catfish or stingray that will sift through the substrate)
Bare bottom allows the wave maker to pick up the dirt off the bottom and carry them into the sump, however you're missing a huge volume of filter media as compared to having substrate.

If I'm planning to do the exact same tank maintenance weekly, would a substrate or bare bottom tank give cleaner water?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If you vacuum the bottom then it's worth it for the aesthetics imo, what fish do you want?

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
I prefer substrate not only for the look but also for reasons you yourself have mentioned.
I also believe that substrate supports a lot of the fish' natural behavior and needs

I do understand that in very large setups.. tanks that are heavily stocked.. breeding operations.. bare bottom is probably more convenient but in a display tank... i like the natural look.
As for wave makers, i have two in my tank... they dont affect my substrate... my rays do rearrange it though...

If you do a good gravel vac weekly, your filtration and water movement is good then substrate is not a problem.. that's just my personal opinion..

Ray-z

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2017
I prefer thin layer of substrate because it’s looks way better and I love it how the rays act in it, always sifting though it etc and they love to bury themselves for a while after they’ve had a good feed. As regards filteration, sand may make a good filter media inside a filter with water flowing through it but I’m not convinced it adds any benefits of filtration just sat on the bottom of the tank.

Reactions: MariaS

Mr.AzulBass

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2011
Utah
I have tile, its nice but doesnt quite do act as the natural environment that Ray-z says. Its pretty cool watching the ray(s) sift through sand and hide. I like tile but its a pain to lift every heavy piece up and clean under it once every tow months or so.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
Bare bottom is hands down easier. Some think substrate looks better, some don't, matter of personal opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store